cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bsp2020
Challenger

OpenCL™ 2.0 is here!

Unfortunately, it is from Intel. When will AMD release OpenCL 2.0 support for AMD APU?

OpenCL™ 2.0 is here! Download the Release 2 of Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications 2014

0 Likes
45 Replies
maxdz8
Elite

That would be about time I suppose.

I'm eagerly waiting a driver refresh for Tonga with accompanying goodies for everyone. Hopefully soon.

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff

Brian,

We expect to deliver OpenCL 2.0 support with the next release of the Catalyst driver, sometime this fall. We can't make specific date predictions for engineering work in progress.

Glad to hear.  I understand you can't make date predictions, but could you comment

on whether dGPUs are going to be supported in this next release? i.e. will 290 get OpenCL 2.0 ?

I assume that this would need an AMD cpu to talk to the AMD gpu.

0 Likes

Aaron, I'll check with the product manager.... not sure I'll be able to answer this, but I'll let you know either way if this is something I can discuss prospectively.

0 Likes

Aaron, formal answer: the Catalyst driver will support OpenCL 2.0 on recent AMD dGPU and APU products - specific product support will be announced later.

0 Likes

Thanks, jtrudeau! I have one more question: will opencl 2.0 on dGPU only

work with AMD cpu?

0 Likes

OpenCL 2.0 on dGPU will work with both AMD and Intel CPUs

0 Likes

Great. Thanks!!  I can't wait for this to be released.

Aaron

0 Likes

Great. Thanks!

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Jtrudeau

Desgraciadamente esta actualizacion solamnte se aplica a Tonga y apus o arquitectura gcn en general.

______

Jtrudeau

Unfortunately this solamnte upgrade applies to Tonga and apus or gcn architecture in general.

0 Likes

Juan, for sure OpenCL 2 will only work on more current hardware and architectures. We do plan support for some current hardware. The release notes will have a complete list.

0 Likes

Does that mean Kaveri will be supported?

0 Likes

"Does that mean Kaveri will be supported?"

Yes.

bsp2020
Challenger

OpenCL 2.0 is hear from AMD.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/OpenCL2-Driver.aspx

Any body wants to try it and let us know how good it is?

Also, it claims support for

• Shared Virtual Memory – Coarse Grain

Does this mean fine grain SVM is not yet supported? Will it be supported on all of the hardware that support OCL2.0?

Does fine grain SVM need HSA? Then in maybe in upcoming version of driver http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc5NjY

0 Likes

AMD has released its first fully-functional OpenCL 2.0 driver aimed at early adopter developers.  We’re not broadly promoting this driver because we have a performance-optimized driver coming out shortly and we suggest you wait for that version.  We plan to release a new SDK when the updated driver becomes available to help developers come up to speed.  That said, we welcome any feedback from the community who are interested in test-driving this version of the driver.

As for the SVM capabilities, this driver fully supports the core OpenCL 2.0 features - including course-grained SVM.  AMD has not yet publicly disclosed plans for OpenCL 2.0 optional features - stay tuned for further details.

Can this new driver co-work with HSA driver if i run on AMD A10-7850K ?? since on the other thread , the AMD developer claim HSA driver will prevent Catalyst driver loaded.

Or this limitation had been removed ?? Comment ?

Chester, not really sure what other thread you mean. If you have a link to that particular thread on HSA, I’d like to see what was being said about the HSA driver, and I'll pass that on to the technical folks behind me. Maybe we can get you an answer.

0 Likes

The open source radeon driver is not compatible with the closed source Catalyst.  The information in those threads is correct.

0 Likes

What's best development model if using A10-7850K APU here ??

Can we install AMD's Catalyst driver that support OpenCL 2.0 and development opencl program on top of it ?? or we can only rely on HSA kernel driver (amdkfd) and translate opencl code to HSAIL and run on top of it ??

0 Likes

I have installed HSA driver from github(https://github.com/HSAFoundation), but how to translate openCL code  to HSAIL? where can I get the HSAIL compiler ?

Hi Humasama,

You can try following binary from AMD.

HSAFoundation/CLOC · GitHub

----

Chester

0 Likes

Hi Chesterkuo,

I use CLOC with HSAIL-HLC-Stable  and vector_copy.cl from CLOC to generate vector_copy.hsail and vector_copy.brig , vector_copy.hsail is different from the one in HSA-Runtime-AMD, and the new one can't work correctly with vector_copy.c in HSA-Runtime-AMD, I mean I can't pass arguments to kernel. I don't know why...

vector_copy.hsail in HSA-Runtime-AMD:

prog kernel &__vector_copy_kernel(

kernarg_u64 %a,

kernarg_u64 %b)

the one CLOC generates:

prog kernel &__OpenCL_vector_copy_kernel(

kernarg_u64 %global_offset_0,

kernarg_u64 %global_offset_1,

kernarg_u64 %global_offset_2,

kernarg_u64 %printf_buffer,

kernarg_u64 %vqueue_pointer,

kernarg_u64 %aqlwrap_pointer,

kernarg_u64 %in,

kernarg_u64 %out)

0 Likes

here is hsail file generated from my env, and it look likes similar with HSA-Runtime-AMD case.

BTW, i'm using the HSAIL-HLC-Development code base instead of HSAIL-HLC-Stable, not sure if this had different results.

=======

prog kernel &__OpenCL_vector_copy_kernel(

kernarg_u64 %in,

kernarg_u64 %out)

{

pragma "AMD RTI", "ARGSTART:__OpenCL_vector_copy_kernel";

pragma "AMD RTI", "version:3:1:104";

pragma "AMD RTI", "device:generic";

pragma "AMD RTI", "uniqueid:1024";

pragma "AMD RTI", "function:1:0";

pragma "AMD RTI", "memory:64bitABI";

pragma "AMD RTI", "uavid:8";

pragma "AMD RTI", "privateid:8";

pragma "AMD RTI", "ARGEND:__OpenCL_vector_copy_kernel";

@__OpenCL_vector_copy_kernel_entry:

// BB#0: // %entry

workitemabsid_u32 $s0, 0;

cvt_s64_s32 $d0, $s0;

shl_u64 $d0, $d0, 2;

ld_kernarg_align(8)_width(all)_u64 $d1, [%out];

add_u64 $d1, $d1, $d0;

ld_kernarg_align(8)_width(all)_u64 $d2, [%in];

add_u64 $d0, $d2, $d0;

ld_global_u32 $s0, [$d0];

st_global_u32 $s0, [$d1];

ret;

};

0 Likes

The issue is that if you use HSAIL-HLC-Stable, then you'll have to compile vector_copy.c with -DDUMMY_ARGS.   If you use HSAIL-HLC-Development instead, then you shall not define the DUMMY_ARGS.  That is due to a change to the kernel arg structure and we are removing the dummy args in the newer compiler (development).

If you encounter other issues with the HSA driver or with the CLOC tool in the future, please feel free to open a new issue on HSA Foundation's github.

0 Likes

Thank a lot ~

0 Likes

Just as a heads up, a potential resource for HSA driver related discussion, since this is all pretty bleeding edge.

The HSA Foundation GitHub is located here: https://github.com/HSAFoundation. There are repositories for tools, drivers, etc. You can ask a question or raise an issue with the developers working on the code.

0 Likes

So even this latest closed source OpenCL 2.0 driver doesn't work with the HSL stack from github yet and can only be used with the open source driver? That's still kind of an inconvenient situation... Any plans on unifying that?

0 Likes

The HSA stack on Github is an early pre-production release and not yet fully integrated with our OpenCL solution.  But thanks for the feedback, we are aligned on where this needs to go in the future.  We’ll keep you posted as soon as we’re ready to make announcements on this front.

I am still surprised AMD choose to prioritize compability with the open source driver instead of their Catalyst driver first. The latter one would have made more sense. Now we have the situation to choose either the HSA stack or an up-to-date OpenCL/OpenGL driver but we can't utilize both. It looks like both teams work in different directions.

0 Likes

Sascha

I understand your short term frustration,.  Catalyst is our Production Driver that is relied on by our larger base of  consumer and business customers, and we felt it better not to disrupt these customer while we are in the early stages of deployment of HSA.  As Jim said we are early in Pre 1.0 release, we felt it was better to engage the developer community early so they can have impact on what we deliver in 1.0 and post 1.0

Where we are at right now: The HSA foundation has a public alpha of HSA 1.0 software which released in Aug,  Right now  we are scheduled to be posting a public beta for HSA 1.0.  We still have some release process hurdles to cross but it will likely be within weeks, not months. We made a decision early on that we would open source all the major components of the HSA software stack. We really want to open up what is possible with GP/GPU computing.

These slides show the direction we are going with our Linux Driver,  We are moving to common kernel for the open source and Post Catalyst era Proprietary Driver. This should clean up the user experience with our Linux driver and offer a much bigger lift in performance for compute and graphics for both drivers. The  HSA runtime is a core component of this transition for both the Open and Closed drivers.

[Phoronix] The Slides Announcing The New "AMDGPU" Kernel Driver

We appreciate your patience as we roll out a new foundation for GP/GPU computing that will benefit OpenCL and so many more possible languages.

Some questions about that exciting release:

1) Driver release notes on GPU support are somewhat not clear..

for example it says it supports "AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series" for driver doesn't  work with a 7950 card.. the device id isn't present on the inf file..

also even after using a modded driver adding this device id we get as some people say 1.2 support via clinfo on CL_DEVICE_VERSION..

Anyway just to be concise does GCN 1.0 products as Tahiti cards (7950 and 7970) will support full OCL 2.0?

As seems GCN 1.1 will support it such as Hawaii (290x) and GCN 1.2 will support it (285 Tonga)..

2) AMD supports SPIR extension but on August SPIR 2 provisional spec was released bringing SPIR to support all OCL 2 features like dynamic parallelism.. does this AMD OCL 2 driver support experimental SPIR 2? if not it will be in final OCL 2 drivers?

3) seems even some cards doesn't up supporting full OCL 2 they could support some extensions that expose some parts of it like the MSAA textures extension that is integrated in OCL 2.. AMD could expose at least that extension on Tahiti cards?

4) One very interesting extension in OpenCL implementation is the "OpenCL C++ static kernel language extension".. now OpenCL 2 supporting some overloading and more C++ like support like atomics is this static kernel language extension still supported or extended in some way interoperate with OCL 2.0 kernel language or has been removed?

thanks..

0 Likes

Oscar, I checked with some folks....

1) Driver release notes on GPU support are somewhat not clear..

Yeah, I'm hammering on some people internally to clean this up. My apologies for incomplete/inaccurate information on what devices are supported.

Anyway just to be concise does GCN 1.0 products as Tahiti cards (7950 and 7970) will support full OCL 2.0?

Requires GCN 1.1. But a more accurate list of precisely which devices are supported is in the works.

2) AMD supports SPIR extension but on August SPIR 2 provisional spec was released bringing SPIR to support all OCL 2 features like dynamic parallelism.. does this AMD OCL 2 driver support experimental SPIR 2? if not it will be in final OCL 2 drivers?

SPIR 2.0 is not currently supported.  Only OpenCL 1.2 features are currently supported by AMD’s SPIR extension (SPIR version 1.2)

3) seems even some cards doesn't up supporting full OCL 2 they could support some extensions that expose some parts of it like the MSAA textures extension that is integrated in OCL 2.. AMD could expose at least that extension on Tahiti cards?

Thanks for the feedback.  The current implementation supports only core OpenCL 2.0 APIs, but we will consider this request for future drivers.

4) One very interesting extension in OpenCL implementation is the "OpenCL C++ static kernel language extension".. now OpenCL 2 supporting some overloading and more C++ like support like atomics is this static kernel language extension still supported or extended in some way interoperate with OCL 2.0 kernel language or has been removed?

The current OpenCL 2.0 implementation supports only OpenCL 2.0 core features.  Further extensions are under consideration. Again, thanks for the feedback.  Great to hear that extensions such as C++ static kernel language features are important to developers.

Thanks for very informative response!

Allow me some feedback:

First just to clarify are this beta drivers shipping with dynamic parallelism working as they guy (implementing HSA and OCL 2.0 C++ AMP backends so must know something..) say no (please see link):

multicoreware / cppamp-driver-ng / issues / #20 - Request for support dynamic parallelism in OCL 2.0...

Also please add to new OCL 2.0 extensions list that should be in theory be supported on GCN 1.0 this:

*cl_khr_gl_msaa_sharing (what I said)

*also please MIPMAP images new extensions: cl_khr_mipmap_image     cl_khr_mipmap_image_writes

also I found interesting new extension on Intel drivers that allows interop of CL,DX11 and OGL resources (buffers, texes?) at the same time: cl_intel_simultaneous_sharing that seems Adobe CC products use..

spec and sample here:cl_intel_simultaneous_sharing OpenCL extension in a new driver | Intel® Developer Zone

Makes sense on AMD to support?

thanks..

0 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll make sure this gets into the R&D team.

Regards dynamic parallelism, I’m told the feature is supported but there are known problems with the currently available driver.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for the suggestions.

Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:05 AM

To: Trudeau, Jim

Subject: OpenCL™ 2.0 is here! | AMD Developer Forums

AMD Developer Forums <http://devgurus.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

OpenCL™ 2.0 is here!

in OpenCL

0 Likes

Thanks for all support..

Last question is can we expect a OpenCL 2.0 CPU implementation from AMD also soon?

As Intel is shipping a CL2.0 CPU implementation right now..

Oscar.

0 Likes

You sure this is the right driver? It keeps saying 14.4 in CCC, and OpenCL 1.2 in CodeXL/System Info. I've done the complete uninstall before updating to this one.

0 Likes

gabest, likely the same kind of problem as jiayu hu - CodeXL doesn't support OpenCL 2.0 yet. This might be caused by something else. e.g. OpenCL 2.0 only works on 64-bit hardware. But I suspect you've already considered issues like that.

0 Likes