cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

digbug
Journeyman III

Failed to Run OpenCL on CPU of Microsoft Azure

Hi, Recently I want to build a OpenCL training platfrom on MicroSoft Azure. To get the customer familiar with OpenCL, beginning with CPU as OpenCL device.

However, I failed to get clinfo run on Micrsoft Azure. Help needed here.

My understanding is APP SDK has CPU OpenCL runtime so only installing APP SDK 2.9 is enough. Here's what I got:

1, Windows Server 2008/2012 with APP SDK only: clinfo crashed.

2, Windows Server 2008/2012 with catalyst 16.7 and APP SDK 2.9: clinfo crashed.

3, Ubuntu 12.0 with APP SDK only: clinfo reported part of information, ending with ERROR: clBuildProgram (-11).

So the question is:

Does APP SDK include an CPU runime?

Is there any possibility of run OpenCL on Microsoft Azure like VM and take CPU as OpenCL device?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
settle
Challenger

Try using APP SDK 2.8.1.  I've had problems with version 2.9 not working on non-AMD x86 CPUs despite saying it works on any x86 processor, so maybe your Azure client is running on one of those.  I've been able to run OpenCL code on the CPUs within VMs using 2.8.1, even if it wasn't an AMD CPU underneath.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
settle
Challenger

Try using APP SDK 2.8.1.  I've had problems with version 2.9 not working on non-AMD x86 CPUs despite saying it works on any x86 processor, so maybe your Azure client is running on one of those.  I've been able to run OpenCL code on the CPUs within VMs using 2.8.1, even if it wasn't an AMD CPU underneath.

0 Likes
digbug
Journeyman III

Thank you, settle.

I make things right with APP SDK 2.8.1, specificly, we need install OpenCL-CPU.msi package from APP SDK 2.8.1 installation package.

Thanks again.

0 Likes