Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

aldero
Journeyman III

W600 vs. (3x) 2270

Hi,

We are planing a large video wall with 6 video projectors at 720p = 1280 x 720. In idle mode the wall will act as a single entity and will display a huge image with some animations. In the "interactive" mode, the users will interact with only one section (one of the beamers) of the wall. This means that the solution needs to behave at some moments as a whole and at some moments as fractions. (if necessary we would split the whole into 6 pieces with our own software solution)

At the first glance the W600 looked as the perfect solution. However, we are also thinking about a solution with 3x FirePro 2270 (1GB). We suppose that 3 GPUs and more RAM will deliver a better performance.

I have some questions:

- Does the GPU / driver of the 2270 also support edge blending? -> Would it be possible to blend edges of two different 2270s?

- If we use the W600 we would need to decompress 6 videos in parallel. I guess that the best solution is to do all this work with the CPU? Would it be better to limit the number of videos to 4 with our software?

What are your thoughts on this? Which would be the best solution for this application W600 or 3x2270?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi,

if you need to configure overlap and edge blending I recommend using the W600. We suppor the configuration of overlap only with Eyefinity Groups. Having an Eyefinity Group allows you to have one large Desktop covering the 6 outputs of the W600. For such a desktop you can configure overlap regions. If you go for 3x2270 you cannot configure an overlap for displays that belong to different GPUs.

Please note that the driver will support only the overlap configuration, edge blending needs to be done by either the projector of by an application. We provide an OpenGL extension (DOPP) that allows you to grab the desktop and to use it as texture. Using this extension you can easily write and blending application. I can provide you sample code if required.

You can make use of the UVD for the decoding of your video streams. UVD will allow to decode 2x1080p or 4x720p. If you need more streams you will have to add CPU decoding.

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi,

if you need to configure overlap and edge blending I recommend using the W600. We suppor the configuration of overlap only with Eyefinity Groups. Having an Eyefinity Group allows you to have one large Desktop covering the 6 outputs of the W600. For such a desktop you can configure overlap regions. If you go for 3x2270 you cannot configure an overlap for displays that belong to different GPUs.

Please note that the driver will support only the overlap configuration, edge blending needs to be done by either the projector of by an application. We provide an OpenGL extension (DOPP) that allows you to grab the desktop and to use it as texture. Using this extension you can easily write and blending application. I can provide you sample code if required.

You can make use of the UVD for the decoding of your video streams. UVD will allow to decode 2x1080p or 4x720p. If you need more streams you will have to add CPU decoding.

Chris

0 Likes
aldero
Journeyman III

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We have finally decided to go with the W600. Could you please send me the example code for edge blending?

I was also wondering if the W600 has support for image warping.

My e-mail is:

juan [at] mediaarchitecture.org

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi,

I forgot to give some details about our environment. We are going to develop our application in Ubuntu 14.04 64b, with Openframeworks (C++).

I read somewhere that amd was planing to include edge-blending and image warping in the official drivers. I was just wondering if this has been already implemented, it would be of great help!

Thanks!

Juan C.

0 Likes

Hi,

unfortunately we do not support Overlap and DOPP on Linux.

Sorry

Chris

0 Likes
aldero
Journeyman III

The driver for linux is outdated? Where is the problem?

Since we have not started with the development we could switch to windows -if necessary.

Thx.

0 Likes

Hi,

it is not that the Linux driver is outdated but the DOPP has some OS dependencies. In particular it requires DWM. For Linux a completely different implementation would be required.This is why DOPP is currently not supported on Linux.

Chris

0 Likes
aldero
Journeyman III

Hi,

Ok I understand the problem. Are you planing to support linux (Xorg / Wayland) in the mid term?

I now that windows is the largest market, but DOPP for linux would be a quite powerful -and interesting- tool!

I hope you can find the time for that.

best, jc

0 Likes