cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

VincentSC
Adept II

How can I easily switch between driver versions on Linux?

Using LKM functions (modprobe, rmmod, lsmod, etc) it is easy to install and change kernel-modules. I'd like to be able to easily switch between different versions of fglrx, so I can quickly test out a beta version for OpenCL-improvements, while not taking too many risks.

Does anybody have tried this out, or has clues how to do this? Ofcourse after "service lightdm stop" and all those basics about LKM - my question is about managing different versions of the driver, and hot-switching between them without rebooting the machine.

12 Replies
cusa123
Adept I

Vincentsc porquecatalyst my question is is so difficult to install on linux. I currently have Ubuntu 14.04 and I would like to install catalyst 14.6 gives me the following error:

"Please install the required pre-requisites for package generation before proceeding with AMD Catalyst installation. Please check file usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log for more details."

0 Likes

Please start a new thread, if you have a new question. The answer to your question is in /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log - did you check it?

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi,

I'll forward your question to concerned team and get back to you.

Regards,

0 Likes

Great you want to help out! This might help to increase flexibility and speed-up testing.

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

AFAIK easiest and fastest way is just let generate installer distribution packages and install them. After you install them you just need restart. You can keep packages somewhere so you can easily switch them.

0 Likes

Restarting is a solution for Windows.

A reason why I want to do things that are theoretically possible, is that I love to learn. In this case I want to learn how LKM works to this level and want to make use of it.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

The problem we are having with ubuntu 14.04 lts, is that to install catalyst 14.6 "must then updated ubuntu".

But this is causing a problem, if it is not ubuntu or amd. Ubuntu unity is damaged and the side and top bars are lost. Found only solution is to reinstall ubuntu.

0 Likes

It could easily be a config-file that changed owner after installing some package. Try the following:

sudo chown -hR <groupname>:<username> ~/.*

(in my case "<groupname>:<username>" is "vincent:vincent")

This makes sure that all files from hidden directories in your home-directory are set back to your ownership. Instead of ~/.* you could also try ~/.config only.

I know there are more of these simple tricks. There should be a fix-x.sh which does them all.

0 Likes

Hi,

As far as we know, there is no way to support multiple AMD drivers on one machine and switch between them.

If you come across some technique to do it, please share it with us.

Thanks,

0 Likes

Why wouldn't it work like switching between different wifi-drivers? I only need the window-manager to be down, while doing it.

Possible steps:

- shut down window manager + X

- rmmod fglrx

- run a cleanup-script

- install the deb

- modprobe new fglrx

I prefer versioning at another level, but this is also good for now. Would this work? Sometimes old deprecated drivers are still loaded, for instance. What should be in the cleanup-script?

0 Likes

Hi Vincent,

One can always figure out a way to make it work. My point is that there is no official support from AMD on this, nor does AMD make any claim that this will or should work.

If you figure out a robust way to make it work, we would be much interested. Please share your experience with us.

Thanks,

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

I found the problem and is catalyst 14.6 beta is unstable, installed and after a reboot ubuntu dies. I tried ubuntu 13.04 and gives more errors.

Lately I have trouble catalyst resolution on 2 screens of different sizes (1 - ok 1920 * 1080) (2 - Incorrect should be "1680 * 1050" but gives "1600 * 1200 ").

Another serious appreciation for when cleaning the interface and another if you can see the status of the GPU as a percentage of activity.

0 Likes