Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bkmnaidu
Journeyman III

JPEG Encoding acceleration using OpenCL in Image Magick libraries by AMD

Hi,

I have been looking for a GPU accelerated version of JPEG Encoder (preferably using OpenCL) for AMD Radeon HD 6320 GPU.

I understand from a video posted here (OpenCL Optimizations on ImageMagick: Convert, Edit, and Compose Images at AFDS 2012 - YouTube),

AMD has provided OpenCL accelerated functions for JPEG Codecs to Image Magick open source library.

After compiling the library with --enable-opencl flag and installing the binaries, I do not see any improvement in the JPEG compression times and further

investigation revelaed only convolution of an image is OpenCL-enabled at the moment.

Now, can anyone tell me where I can find the OpenCL-enabled JPEG Codecs for AMD GPU. Alternatively, suggest an  library that has GPU accelerated

JPEG Codecs support for AMD GPUs.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

bkmnaidu

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi bkmnaidu,

In ImageMagick  we have accelerated Image blur, radial blur, unsharp mask, resize, contrast, equaliz...

Data parallel portion of Jpeg decoding is already optimized using SIMD and is available as part of LibjpegTurbo (http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org/) and same has been integrated in imageMagick.
Since % of time spent in data parallel portion of LibjpegTurbo is very small, we are under the opinion that OpenCL optimization might not give significant benefit.

Thanks,

AMD Support.

0 Likes