Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bkloppenborg
Adept I

2x performance decrease in OpenGL when OpenCL interop is enabled on R290x

Greetings,

I have an ATI R9 280x GPU running on an Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64 system with the Gnome display manager. I have found my OpenCL/GL application runs much slower on this card than a two year old nVidia GPU. I have tracked it down to a 2x rendering performance decrease that is associated with the creation of an OpenCL/OpenGL interop context. This slow down does not happen on on my other two machines with (3+ year old) nVidia-based GPUs. Unfortunately I don't have any other ATI GPUs on which I can test this so I'm not sure if this is a driver bug or something wrong in my context initialization.

Here's the output of my testing code. On my R9 280x system:

bkloppenborg@epsilon:~/workspace/simtoi-model-dev/bin$ ./gl-benchmark

Number of Elements: 5100

Running benchmark. Press ESC after a few seconds.

Frames: 72703

Time (s): 6.4246

FPS: 11316.4

bkloppenborg@epsilon:~/workspace/simtoi-model-dev/bin$ ./clgl-benchmark

Frames: 40024

Time (s): 6.97677

FPS: 5736.75

I've repeated the test several times and have obtained similar results each time. For comparision, a much older nVidia card has essentially no difference between the two programs:

baron@firefly:~/SOFTWARE/simtoi-model-dev/bin> ./gl-benchmark

Frames: 9948

Time (s): 9.58127

FPS: 1038.28

baron@firefly:~/SOFTWARE/simtoi-model-dev/bin> ./clgl-benchmark

Frames: 14243

Time (s): 13.5421

FPS: 1051.76

A minimal example can be found here: https://github.com/bkloppenborg/simtoi-model-dev with the tag AMD_Dev_Central_CLGL_Slowdown .

git clone bkloppenborg/simtoi-model-dev · GitHub

cd simtoi-model-dev

git checkout tags/AMD_Dev_Central_CLGL_Slowdown

The remaining building instructions and prerequisites can be found in the README.md file. After the programs are built, run the bin/clgl-benchmark and bin/gl-benchmark programs.

Thank you for your reply.

Brian

0 Likes
1 Solution
bkloppenborg
Adept I

I re-installed the drivers, redid `aticonfig --initial --sb off` and now both perform at a similar level. I guess there was some stale configuration file sitting around.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
bkloppenborg
Adept I

I re-installed the drivers, redid `aticonfig --initial --sb off` and now both perform at a similar level. I guess there was some stale configuration file sitting around.

0 Likes