Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

fenglee423
Journeyman III

Installing issue of OpenCL on AMD R9 290X in Linux

Hi All,

I have just got an ASUS AMD R9 290X board and I am planing to do some OpenCL projects. After I plug in the board to my CentOS 6.5 machine, without driver, it shows PCIe Gen3 x16 connection using "lspci". After installing drivers (I tried both stable and beta) and reboot, the card is then reported as Gen1 x1. I was told it could be the "power saving mode", then I tried "glxgears" which should kickoff the GPU, but sadly it still shows Gen 1 connection. The most confusing thing is I tried "clinfo", it is reporting an AMD platform, but reporting 1 device, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU, which is my Intel i7-4770.

I am not sure if I have missed anything during my installation. Has anyone seen this issue before? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Note: I have tried the latest SDK, since I believe SDK only installs OpenCL drivers for cpu, I do not think this issue is related to SDK.

-Shan

0 Likes
1 Solution
nou
Exemplar

install only driver. SDK can mess up the opencl for newest cards. do you have Xserver running? you need it to access GPU.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
nou
Exemplar

install only driver. SDK can mess up the opencl for newest cards. do you have Xserver running? you need it to access GPU.

Thank you, nou. Yes, you are right. I was remoting in the machine through ssh so xserver is not on. If I login locally, I can see OpenCL listed in clinfo.

By the way, is there any way to bypass the Xserver. I feel Xserver is really unnecessary  for OpenCL users. Thank you!

0 Likes

Thank you, nou. Since I need to switch between drivers, I do not want to mess with the driver contents. I checked out your post and all other's posts about the Xserver issue. Finally I have a work around:

add "xhost +" to the end of /etc/gdm/Init/Default

ssh without X forwarding

So far it is working fine.

0 Likes