Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

Why does AMD make so few processors?

Hi,

Over the years, I have always been having troubles finding AMD processors in the shops. It is almost like AMD does not want to sell processors. Shops either do not have them or have to put ridiculous limits like 1 per customer etc. Several times had to switch to buying from Intel or Nvidia when the original aim was to buy from AMD, due to time shortage for obtaining parts and needing to get what is available right away.

I was recently trying to buy few 10+ kaveri processors and I am not able to. For example, I check Newegg and they say "In stock. Limit 1 per customer."

Newegg.com - AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7 s...

In Finland some web shops already show stock numbers like -13 (yes minus 13). Eg.

http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/AD785KXBJABOX

Some other shop says it will take 14+ days to obtain it...

http://www.tietokonekauppa.fi/product/161198/processor/AMD/A10-7850K+4C+95W+FM2%2B+4M+40G+BLACK/

It is often quite the similar situation with Radeon GPUs. Finding a recent AMD processor is like finding all right numbers in lottery. It is very frustrating. I am not surprised that AMD is not able to expand their market share at all.

I hope somebody at AMD would fire whoever is responsible for constant shortage of all AMD products. (I bet that person may even be bribed by the competitor to cause shortages!). If there is a logical explanation to this, why does it keep happening?

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes
3 Replies
yurtesen
Miniboss

Over 2 weeks and still no kaveri processors in Finland. Somehow it appears newegg managed to increase the limit to 2 per customer! wow! Which department of AMD should one complain to about this?

0 Likes
VincentSC
Adept II

Got sort of the same problem here in the Netherlands. If you check the graph at AMD A10-7850K Black Edition - Prijzen - Tweakers you see a slightly increasing line (instead of decreasing), which suggests a shortage or constant delay in delivery. All shops "expect to deliver in 3 days" while I'm quite used to a 1-day delivery promise.

This has always been a problem throughout Europe. Stocks are costly, but I think this costs AMD more.

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

Well. I got word from one vendor that it will take 1 more month before they can get the processors.

I think AMD could have kept the prices much higher to stop this madness if they can't produce enough processors!

If I was at AMD marketing, I would at lest try to spin a story about the high demand for AMD processors, therefore the lack of them...

0 Likes