Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

marcosaldarriaga
Journeyman III

Need Linux driver for ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]

I need the driver for Linux (fglrx)  for this card:

ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]

I have downloaded the ones found in the download site but when I do "modprobe fglrx", dmesg says that there is not a card.

Please help.

Thank you,

Marco

0 Likes
1 Solution

the open source drivers are part of the kernel. so you are already using them and you don't need install any additional driver.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
nou
Exemplar

fglrx driver doesn't support this GPU. use open-source drivers which are part of kernel. I recommend to use open-source drivers for all radeon HD4xxx and older cards.

Thank you for your reply.

How can I know which driver is for which card? 

I lost several days trying to find the correct driver (fglrx) for this card. The AMD site is not helpful when it comes to download a driver.

Is there any place where I could find old (legacy) drivers?

0 Likes

the open source drivers are part of the kernel. so you are already using them and you don't need install any additional driver.

0 Likes

How can I know which cards use the fglrx driver?

0 Likes

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, HD 7000, HD 6000 and HD 5000 Series. you can select older cards, and download legacy driver which doesn’t work with recent Linux distributions. I don't recommend trying it.

forget about installing drivers. Linux is not a Windows, you generally doesn't install any drivers.

Thank you for your reply.

In the link (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download) not all the cards appear. For example, my card, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE], is not in the lists.

You say "forget about installing drivers. Linux is not a Windows, you generally doesn't install any drivers.". This is normally true, but I need the driver for running OpenGL programs, and also doing bitcoin mining.

0 Likes

first Radeon 7000 is more than 10 years old. you should be able run OpenGL programs. you can run glxinfo to print info about OpenGL. you should find something like this. also for bitcoin mining you need card which support OpenCL which are that I listed in my previous post.

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile

OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.7

OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

0 Likes