Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

kvraju
Adept II

Which OS has the support for AMD catalyst driver

Hi All,

i want to run opencl applications on AMD radeon 8670 graphic card,which is presented in my laptop.

As for my understanding, to run opencl applications on radeon GPU we need to install catalyst driver as well.

Could some body suggest me which OS should i install on my laptop.So,that i should get proper AMD catalyst driver.

Thank .

0 Likes
1 Solution

Dear AMD experts,

I need your help regarding this issue.

i again go through the AMD driver installation procedure.

And came to know that fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121 driver is not installing in my laptop.

and also i missed following point as well while installing the AMD fglrx driver.

" Before trying to install the fglrx package it's better to disable free radeon driver.

On the boot line add : radeon.modeset=0 blacklist=radeon 3 "

is that fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121 driver not installing ? due to missing the above point "disable free radeon driver before we install the fglrx driver".

is that above reason, i am not able to run the opencl applications as user mode?

Could anybody help me on this issue to go forward.

Thanks..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
nou
Exemplar

0 Likes

Actually, I could use Catalyst on all Ubuntu versions (up to 13.10). However it appears AMD is not updating their pages as often as there are Ubuntu releases. You should have no trouble using the latest ubuntu releases.

0 Likes
kvraju
Adept II

hi nou & all,

thanks for information.

i have install the catalyst driver on opensuse OS .but i am  not able to run the opencl application on GPU as user .

as root i am able to run the opencl applications on GPU.

following output: as user

"Hello World

No GPU device available.

Choose CPU as default device.

input string:

Text Goes Here ......

output string:

Ufyu!Hpft!Ifsf!//////

Passed!"

following output: as root

"Hello World

input string:

Text Goes Here ......

output string:

Ufyu!Hpft!Ifsf!//////

Passed! "

Can you please help on this issue.

thanks.

0 Likes

Do you have Xserver running? Because if you can run it only as root it sound like you are not running Xserver with exported DISPLAY enviroment variable.

0 Likes

Hi Nou,

thanks for your quick reply.

due to my personal interest i want run opencl application on my laptop .

it would be grate helpful if you can guide me following queries

1) how to check the Xserver is running or not in my machine?

2) in which configuration files i need to change regarding export DISPLAY=:0.0 ?

3) can you please provide me some reference links or doc . so,that i can follow things steps by step.

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi Nou,

i have followed below procedure to set Xserver and export Display.

3. If you are running openSUSE:

a. Add the following lines at the end of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup after the . /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager to modify the security settings, allowing remote sessions to access the X server and to ensure remote sessions have access to the necessary device files when communicating with the GPU.
xhost +
chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*

b. If you normally use bash, add the following line to the end of /etc/bash.bashrc to ensure remote sessions know which X server to access.
case $DISPLAY in ’’) export DISPLAY=:0;; *) ;; esac
NOTE: ’ ’ are two single quotes, not a single double-quote.

Still i am facing the same issue.

Could you please help me out on this issue.

Thanks

0 Likes

if you have normal graphical user interface then you are running Xserver. the DISPLAY should be then set. you can check value with echo $DISPLAY. what is clinfo output.

xhost +

chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*

is needed only when you are trying run programs usin OpenCL through SSH.

0 Likes

Hi nou,

thanks for your information.

i am running Application in local machine itself through linux terminal .

i checked the echo $DISPLAY

echo $DISPLAY

:0.0

and also i set the following commands manually as well, still i am facing same issue.

venkataraju@linux-aq5g:~/codes/HelloWorld> xhost +

access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

venkataraju@linux-aq5g:~/codes/HelloWorld> su

Password:

linux-aq5g:/home/venkataraju/codes/HelloWorld # chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*

linux-aq5g:/home/venkataraju/codes/HelloWorld # exit

exit

venkataraju@linux-aq5g:~/codes/HelloWorld> ./HelloWorld

status = 0

Hello World

numplatforms =1

numDevices = 0

No GPU device available.

Choose CPU as default device.

input string:

Text Goes Here ......

output string:

Ufyu!Hpft!Ifsf!//////

Passed!

could you please help me on this .

Thanks..

0 Likes

The driver is (at least in part) comprised of one or more kernel modules for which there is no default user-level equivalent.  Be certain to make the appropriate addition(s)/change(s) to /etc/udev/rules.d/*.rules (careful though, since rules in /etc/udev/.. override the packaged rules in /lib/udev/).  Or, you could check the existing relevant /lib/udev/##-(graphics-card|drivers|udev-default).rules to determine if you can simply add your user account to the established system group (fi, group:video) to get the desired results.

The later is less likely to work as you'd like but certainly the preferred option if it does.  Giving user programs direct access to kernel modules is likely something to experiment with on a non-critical system.

In either case, you'll certainly benefit from reading the udev, udev.d and related man pages first.

0 Likes

Dear AMD experts,

I need your help regarding this issue.

i again go through the AMD driver installation procedure.

And came to know that fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121 driver is not installing in my laptop.

and also i missed following point as well while installing the AMD fglrx driver.

" Before trying to install the fglrx package it's better to disable free radeon driver.

On the boot line add : radeon.modeset=0 blacklist=radeon 3 "

is that fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121 driver not installing ? due to missing the above point "disable free radeon driver before we install the fglrx driver".

is that above reason, i am not able to run the opencl applications as user mode?

Could anybody help me on this issue to go forward.

Thanks..

0 Likes

Dear All,

I am go through the installation procedure by using this link

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

after adding radeon.modeset=0 and blacklist=radeon 3 on boot line in yast2 control center

and rebooting the system    "GUI  was gone"

could any one help on this issue as early as possible.

0 Likes

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  12
  Current serial number in output stream:  1
i am getting this error after installation when typing fglrxinfo in the terminal window
please anybody help me on this issue as early as possible.
0 Likes

I would guess that your installation simply failed for some reason. Try to check the installer's messages and logs more carefully. The AMD installer automatically disables 'radeon' module when installed without a problem. You may also want to check this out:

SDB:AMD fglrx - openSUSE

0 Likes