Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Bdot
Adept III

Graphics driver crash since 13.4 when using atomic_inc

Hi,

I'm using a HD5770 on Win7-64 with Cat13.10.

Since 13.4 till today, my appication crashes the GPU driver or even causes blue screens. Now I've been able to provide a small test case based on the MemoryOptimizations example. I just added a 3rd parameter and used it similar to my application: The first word of that uint array is a counter of how many words are in it, increased by atomic_inc. After that, the entries start.

Can someone show me what is wrong? Or suggest how to get around this problem?

Other users reported that the driver crash also happens on GCN-based GPUs, on Windows 8. The last driver known to not crash was 13.1.

Thanks.

0 Likes
9 Replies
kracker
Adept II

This crashes as well here.

Windows 8, HD 7770, Catalyst 13.11 B6

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi

Sorry for the late reply

I tried executing the code which you provided.. But unfortunately, its giving me lot errors. I found that you have included SDKfiles. But i dont have those. I downloaded from net and tried compiling it but still getting lots of errors.

I request you to give complete code .

Also could you please execute your program with latest software ie, AMD APP SDK 2.9 with catalyst 13.11.

Because i have tested a similar kind of example which uses atomic operation same as you. Its working fine.

Please find the attachment for the same.

0 Likes

I thought it was the easiest to refer to an example that comes with the APP SDK itself. But it was the previous version of the SDK which I failed to mention, and the SDK example structure has changed a bit with 2.9.

Instead you send an example the refers to boost (OK, I found and installed that) and some ocl.h, which is NOT part of the AMD APP SDK. I tried several of the ocl.h files from sourceforge, but none provided what you are using.

I've redone my changes on the 2.9 example and will attach the source here. Can you build the default MemoryOptimizations example (%HOME%\AMD APP SDK\2.9\samples\opencl\benchmark\MemoryOptimizations)? Once that works, replacing the .cpp, .hpp and .cl files should give you my test case. Or, you could just run the provided binary.

And yes, also with AMD APP SDK 2.9, Catalyst 13.11(beta9v2) the video driver crashes on my Win7x64/HD5770/PhenomX4 (and others).

0 Likes

Hi,

thanks for the code. Sorry the ocl.h is the internally developed wrapper class. I thought i had given. Sorry for the inconvience.

anyways, i will test your code and get back to you.

0 Likes

Hi, I could really use some information about the status of this issue (or rather a fix). In the meantime I'm no longer sure that the abort is related to the use of atomics as I have other kernels without atomics that make the GPU driver re-initialize as well.

0 Likes

Have you been able to reproduce the abort with that code?

0 Likes

Sorry for the delay.  I have reported this issue to the development team, and the team is working on it.

0 Likes

Hi,

The problem is reproducible. It appears to be a driver issue.  The team is working on it.

--Prasad

0 Likes

Hi,

The missing memory boundary check after the atomic increment operation seemed to cause the issue.  In the attached file, a boundary check has been added.  The crash no longer occurs.

Let us know if a similar change to your code fixes the issue.

0 Likes