cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Raistmer
Adept II

New APP SDK installer - very inconvenient one!

1) Requires internet access during install and provides no offline installation package.

To installer team: guys, leave cloud for awhile, go to nature w/o WiFi and G4... and try to reinstall your new "performance" there. Then rethink what installer is.

2) It silently replaces older SDK. What the hell indeed! If it doesn't install side by side with older SDK (as NV SDK does for example) it should at least WARN then this stuff will destroy your development environment! Older SDK has different minimum driver requirements and still required for support out user base for example. Again, guys, you are too far from real life! Get to earth from your clouds, it's mean just to destroy older config w/o notice!

3) the most unimportant but still... Are you really think that all GPGPU programmers are really need your beta of media SDK to provide it as default config ? Well, it is not,  separate packs would be much more appropriate.

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

First of all i would like to thank you for you feedback.

1. You need internet for downloading only. Once you get the exe, you can do the installation offline also.

2. Actually speaking the the latest SDK will get installed in thepath  C:\\User\<username>, but the older(<2.9) were installing in C:\\Program Files. Yes offcourse you are current when we are installing in the same path, it wont gives any worning. Will think on this.

3. Definitely will consider your point.

0 Likes

himanshu.gautam wrote:

First of all i would like to thank you for you feedback.

1. You need internet for downloading only. Once you get the exe, you can do the installation offline also.

No. Exe is just small launcher, all packs downloaded through installation - that's why it's bad idea. But, furtunately, I found separate SDK packs on AMD site already so can afford not to use this nonsense.

Regarding SDK replacement - will re-check when will be next to dev PC.

0 Likes
ksrinidhi
Staff

Hello Raistmer,

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you please give us inputs on what you find inconvenient with the web install? Just to give some context, we got feedback from developers that the size of the SDK is too large and not everything was relevant for them. To address this, we created the component installer which downloads only the selected content during install. Did it not work for you?

Also, we're trending towards one single interface for all AMD heterogeneous SDKs. This is the step in that direction to make the APP SDK & Media SDK available through a single installer. The developer may choose to not install Media SDK. May be we should make it more obvious.

As for silently removing the older SDK, it should not happen. If you can help us with more details, we'll look into it. Apologies for the inconvenience.

0 Likes

Can you please give us inputs on what you find inconvenient with the web install? Just to give some context, we got feedback from developers that the size of the SDK is too large and not everything was relevant for them. To address this, we created the component installer which downloads only the selected content during install. Did it not work for you?

That worked for me just because I was at home with WiFi broadband. But often I work in places w/o broadband. And such installer will be useless when no network available. Provide web-installer, but provide separate MSI-based (for example) packs for components too. Fortunately, AMD still provides such packs, they just buried deeply into site and all announcements lead to this "installer".

0 Likes

In my enterprise, all the computers have Internet and USB restricted in order to avoid code exits.

We neither have Administrator access. There is an "IT" guy which installs only allowed software into our machines.

With your current "unified installer" we simply cannot use your AMD APP SDK.

The way this IT guy works is:

1. Download app installer into a shared folder.

2. He goes to my machine and log in as Admin.

3. He copies the installer.exe to my HDD and installs it.

4. He logs out.

5. I log in and use it.

You should always provide an OFFLINE installer.

0 Likes