cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mathewm
Journeyman III

CodeXL environment variable issue: overriding PATH instead of appending

If I enter a variable named PATH in the environment var table under project settings, it will override instead of appending what CodeXL normally puts in PATH for discovery of it's spy OpenGL dlls.

Just a heads up.  The obvious work around is to not override the PATH variable.

Thanks,

-Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution
kalyanpk
Staff

Hi Mike,

Overwriting system environment variable (%PATH%) on providing a variable name PATH in CodeXL project settings is expected behavior.

This is generic behavior in any environment.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

This is the expected behavior. This is the only way the user can override the system environment variables while debugging his application.

If given values would have being appended automatically then there was no way he could have done it.

In case you need to append the values, just copy the original PATH values and append the extra values in the end.

kalyanpk
Staff

Hi Mike,

Overwriting system environment variable (%PATH%) on providing a variable name PATH in CodeXL project settings is expected behavior.

This is generic behavior in any environment.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply, I really feel AMD is making wonderful efforts to work with developers! 

In response:

That makes perfect sense, Kalyan.  Especially if the user intended on completely overriding a environment variable.

In response to Gilad - Great idea but unfortunately we are unable to append to the current PATH environment due to the 'truncation at the semi colon' bug. 

Fortunately, there are plenty of workarounds for this so this isn't a show stopper.  If you're curious; the use case scenario is I'm debugging into a legacy application where it inherits environment variables (including PATH) from parent processes.

Thank you fro the response(s),

-Mike

0 Likes