Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

AMDAPPKernelAnalyzer2 building for CPU devices

Hello,

I am trying to build an OpenCL kernel with AMDAPPKernelAnalyzer2 from CodeXL 1.2 for CPU devices, both AMD and Intel CPUs on multiple machines say that the build was done successfully but I am not able to see the assembly code. (it shows nothing). It used to show the assembly code in the past for CPU devices. Can you tell how to fix this problem? Is this a known problem? I couldnt see it in release notes?

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes
9 Replies
kalyanpk
Staff

Hi Evren,

I assume you are using 13.6 version of AMD Catalyst driver.

This is a known issue with AMD Catalyst drivers.

Future releases of Catalyst drivers will have the fix for this issue.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

Hello,

I dont remember exactly which version I was using. But now I upgraded to 13.9 and issue continues. Do you know when this will be fixed? Because I need to use this feature.

Also, would it be possible to see the build log and if there would be information about if kernels were vectorized or not?

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes

We're in the final stages of work on CodeXL 1.3 which will fix this problem and so much more. Won't be long now...

0 Likes

Hi Doron,

I just installed CodeXL 1.3 and could compile kernels for GPU devices, but it still does not generate assembly code for CPUs in the kernel analysis section?

Evren

0 Likes

Hi Evren,

what is the version of "AMD Catalyst" driver you are using?

ISA for CPU devices issue is fixed in latest version of Catalyst driver.

Can you please install 13.11 Beta driver?

Let us know if you are still seeing the issue.

If possible, provide a snap-shot for the issue along with the details like OS and CPU details.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

I think I had the latest stable driver, but I can try with the beta driver also. But what if I wanted to use it with CPU devices only and I am using it on a system without an AMD GPU? What happens then? What I don't understand is that Catalyst is for GPUs, my problem is with CPUs, how come they are related?

One more thing, I used to be able to run kernelanalyzer as a standalone program by just opening a opencl file. Now it seems that I need to have a project open in CodeXL and make kernel files etc. Is there an easier way to use it like as one could do before?

0 Likes

Hi Evren,

OpenCL run-time is provided by AMD Catalyst drivers.

For KernelAnalyzer to work, you need to have AMD GPU or AMD APU and Catalyst installed.

If you are running KernelAnalyzer on a system that does not have AMD CPU and have only AMD GPU, you will still get ISA for the CPU device.

Regarding your second question, previous versions of CodeXL packaged KernelAnalyzer2 as a standalone tool.

With CodeXL 1.3, KernelAnalyzer functionality is integrated with CodeXL.

Right now, we have a limitation to load a project followed by adding a kernel file and then analyze it.

In the future versions of CodeXL, this limitation will not be present and you should be able to analyze kernels without loading a project.

Let us know if you need any other help or information.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

Kalyan, OpenCL runtime is also installed with APP SDK. Actually, you can get OpenCL programs to work on CPUs (any CPU, intel or amd) by just installing APP SDK. Maybe that is the problem. Because Catalyst does not seem to install "something" when the APP SDK is installed. Maybe that could have caused the problem. In another thread, I had a problem with 290x not working with OpenCL, but re-installing Catalyst after removing APPSDK fixed it. I will test this when I have time and return back to you.

0 Likes

I think the problem was with APP-SDK being installed. Because it stops Catalyst from updating some OpenCL libraries and this also caused 290x cards to malfunction. Both Catalyst and APP-SDK packages should be fixed to check for latest OpenCL library and install that instead of saying there is already something installed so it skips that...

Now it appears I am able to create assembly for CPU devices at least on one of my machines. I will let you know if I have this problem again.

Thanks,

0 Likes