cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

settle
Challenger

AMD APP SDK 2.9 Regression with CPU Support

I just installed AMD-APP-SDK-v2.9-Windows-64.exe (MD5: 2F4D98ABF7EC99E3EFCA8AD5E215CB9A) on my Windows 8.1 64-bit notebook, and ran clinfo; however, unlike every SDK version prior to 2.9, the AMD platform was not returned for my non-AMD CPU with SSE3.  The AMD_APP_SDK_FAQ.pdf still claims it works, but it doesn't in my case.

Any comment?  Anyone else try and notice this?

0 Likes
9 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi

Please wait. I will check and get back to you may be by tomorrow. Right now i dont have non AMD CPU in hand.

0 Likes

Hi,

Just to follow up, I found that the amdocl.dll and amdocl64.dll are not set in the windows registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors] and [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors].  I manually added it and called clinfo, which detected the AMD platform, but threw a runtime error on clBuildProgram(-11), so maybe there's more to it than just the missing registry setting.

0 Likes

Where in the AMD_APP_SDK_FAQ.pdf it is mentioned that it will return non-AMD platforms.

Could you please mention the question number. Is it the 7th question u r pointing here?

0 Likes

Hi Himanshu,

Yes, the 7th Q&A states that the AMD APP SDK works with any x86 CPU with SSE2.x or later, which is true for my system that is experiencing this issue.

0 Likes

In the 7th Q&A means that Opencl samples can run with any x86 CPUs with OpenCL support. Clinfo wont list you up the non-AMD drivers. Because it got installed by AMD. So you will see only AMD driver there.

0 Likes

Hi Himanshu,

Considering that the 7th and 8th Q&A state which devices are supported, and only the 9th specifies that other vendors' GPUs are not supported, I believe most readers would interpret from the 7th that the AMD platform would detect and support any such CPU as stated.  That's exactly how the SDK versions' clinfo and any other application developed with those SDKs behaved, and they had the same Q&As back then as well.  If the decision was made to no longer run on CPUs from other vendors, the 7th should be modified to clarify that change, as done for GPUs in the 9th.

Btw, clinfo has no problems querying all the other platforms on my system.

0 Likes

Hi settle,

Has this issue been resolved or still are you facing the same issue?

I have tried to replicate the issue with Intel CPU and Cl-info shows all the details of Intel CPU i.e. non AMD CPU.

Can you please recheck it with latest APPSDK and driver once again and let me know, if you still face the same issue.

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi Dipak,

I have replicated the issue with the latest APPSDK--2.9--and verified that it is not an issue with version 2.8.1.  I don't know what you mean about driver because I don't have a AMD GPU in this particular system.  I followed the exact same installation process.

0 Likes
settle
Challenger

Hi Dipak,

Nothing has changed, this issue is still unresolved.  I went back to 2.8.1 and everything worked fine, so the problem is with 2.9.

0 Likes