cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

annieyang
Journeyman III

graphic driver for windows and linux

I already install the graphics driver and APP SDK on windows 7. Everything's fine on windows.

Now on the same laptop, I want to run some demo codes under my ubuntu which runs on vmware workstation. Except that I have to install SDK_on_linux, Do I have to install a linux version graphic driver ?? or the driver I installed under windows will also work for ubuntu?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, Windows driver is a software component that will work with Windows OS.

It cannot work with Linux OS

And vice versa.

For Linux, you need to install Linux drivers.

So, Both drivers will have to be used -- one when you are Windows, Other when you are on Linux.

These drivers execute from the CPU and not a part of the graphics card. And they depend on the OS.

Hope this makes it clear,

+ If you are planning Ubuntu 12.04, Try the Wubi installer. It can install Linux -- just like how you will install a windows application.

You just need the Linux ISO file. The Linux root filesystem will be available as a file under Windows. When you reboot, you will have 2 options to boot from and thats all. You are on Linux.

- Bruhaspati

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

GPUs are not virtualized yet... You cannot run OpenCL from a Virtual Machine....

So, the answer to your question is -- No, this is not possible.

Best Regards,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes

Thank you Himanshu,

I got it.

Then if it's not on a virtual machine, if I install both windows and ubuntu on a same laptop, then it's sure that I have to install both the linux version graphic driver and SDK on ubuntu, even though both the graphic driver and SDK already exist on windows. Is this right??

0 Likes

Yes, Windows driver is a software component that will work with Windows OS.

It cannot work with Linux OS

And vice versa.

For Linux, you need to install Linux drivers.

So, Both drivers will have to be used -- one when you are Windows, Other when you are on Linux.

These drivers execute from the CPU and not a part of the graphics card. And they depend on the OS.

Hope this makes it clear,

+ If you are planning Ubuntu 12.04, Try the Wubi installer. It can install Linux -- just like how you will install a windows application.

You just need the Linux ISO file. The Linux root filesystem will be available as a file under Windows. When you reboot, you will have 2 options to boot from and thats all. You are on Linux.

- Bruhaspati

0 Likes

Thank you so much

0 Likes