Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

aramsmail
Journeyman III

Can I ask a "newbie" question please...

Hi

I wanted to ask a newbie or "rookie" question - you knowledge/help would be much appreciated.

I want to know where or how or from whom to ask if Radeon graphics cards (or which ones specifically) support OpenCL

Ive been researching and researching and can find any definitive info.

Can you PLEASE help me out with this one question.  I would appreciate it very much.

thank you 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Since this is a AMD site we can only recommend AMD CPUs.

Really, it makes no difference if you use an Intel or AMD CPU when using OpenCL on a GPU.  The CPU is independent of the GPU.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
realhet
Miniboss

Hi,

Here are some useful charts:

Radeon HD 6000 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Radeon HD 7000 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Radeon HD 8000 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that some OpenCL programs may require Double Precision support, so those programs can't run on all of the listed cards.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for the links and info, it is much appreciated and very helpful...

One thing I forgot to ask was that my PC's CPU is an i7 4770K which is Intel not AMD.  Would this matter compatibility wise?

If compatibility is not an issue, would this GPU support OpenCL?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121716

ASUS HD7950-DC2-3GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Im not certain I interpreted the charts correctly which you provided and want to make sure!

thank you again for you help, its much appreciated!

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

Any GPU based on Evergreen family or newer support OpenCL. That mean radeon 5xxx,6xxx and 7xxx.

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply, it was very helpful!  Thank you!

On an Intel i7 CPU, would this card be compatible and support OpenCL?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121716

If so, I will purchase two.

thank you again

0 Likes

Since this is a AMD site we can only recommend AMD CPUs.

Really, it makes no difference if you use an Intel or AMD CPU when using OpenCL on a GPU.  The CPU is independent of the GPU.

0 Likes