cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mirk26
Journeyman III

program does not run on GPU via ssh but locally it runs on GPU

I have installed the latest catalyst driver 13.8 beta for ati radeon hd 6670 GPU via ssh and when i tried to run an openCL sample program it runs perfectly on my GPU. But after a system reboot, when i tried to run any program like clinfo or helloworld via ssh it runs on cpu instead of gpu and when i tried to run the same program locally with the same account it runs perfectly on GPU. Can anybody tell me what to do to run the program on GPU via ssh. OS is CentOS 6.4/ AMD APP SDK 2.8.1.0/ Driver catalyst 13.8 beta 2

0 Likes
9 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi Are you getting any error message? if so please share the screen shot of it.

0 Likes

No, there is no specific error. clinfo executes and shows only one device that is the CPU and if run a sample program of amd app sdk it tells no gpu device found so it runs the code on cpu and displays the result.

0 Likes

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem as that of mirk26. I am able to run my program on GPU when I am on actual machine but am unable to do so via ssh. Couldn't take out much from the link you shared. Looking forward to some solid solution

I was doing ssh -X; ssh -x solved the problem for me.

0 Likes

Hi mirk26 Whether your problem got resolved. Have you tried ssh -x as mentioned by Ifrah Saeed. Please let us know the status.

0 Likes

Hi Himanshu

No my problem is not solved yet. ssh -x thing doesn't works for me; I am getting my work done by logging in with my account on the host machine and then ssh that machine from my laptop via the same account then only i am able to use gpu for programming otherwise even if the login screen is displayed on the host machine i cannot access the gpu.

0 Likes

I had seen similar problem and solution was to enable the GPU to be used remotely. I was able to use it after doing the below steps:

The new method I suggest, would be adding the below line to  /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

display-setup-script="/absolute/path/to/the/script.sh"

Now add:

xhost +

chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*

to "/absolute/path/to/the/script.sh" and run chmod ugo+x on this file. Can you confirm these steps do not work for you?

Also you should do

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial

And set environment variable DISPLAY in /etc/profile/

DISPLAY=:0

[EDITED and FORMATTED]

0 Likes
sinoluck
Adept I

Yep.. I found this problem on my AMD server, one of senior told me how to handle it.

You have two options:

1. run GPU applications with sudo(include clinfo), then applications can "see" GPUs

2. export DISPLAY=:0, this makes you can not forward X fine.

Generally I like edit codes with X, but when I write GPU codes, I open 2 ssh-terminals, one of them

write code, another run & compile.

0 Likes

Hi Mirk

Whether your problem got resolved. If you have still some problem , please let us know. we are happy to resolve.

0 Likes