Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

davo1
Journeyman III

CodeXL 1.1.1157.0 profiles teapot, on debug exits pretty promptly

Hi,

Been interested in GPGPU for some time

Can see a use running robot mapping routines

Installed new GPU, battled with catalyst ended up back on stock drivers with updates

and then installed AMDAPP ran some examples,

Progressed to CodeXL

saw looked great tried! WOOPS! on debug

So been using pyOpenCL which suits me whilst learning

problem

when you load teapot, start debug CodeXL the GUI exits quickly,

when starting CodeXL from a terminal you do get a Segmentation Fault which is included below, The seg value varies a bit depending on what exactly you did to go into debug mode

dump file very small

Profiling Works!

Good news though profiling teapot works when run as a $user not when  sudo or "root".

teapot runs from the command line as an application

Error Message and Dump File

Seg error codexl exit after attempting debug values vary depending on how you tried to enter debug

----------------------------------------------------------------------

./CodeXL
./CodeXL: line 41:  3113 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)

CoreDump file

following log file open teapot, run debug:

-----------

### System information data:

### End of system information

###  [AMDTTeaPot-bin]   []   []   [LinuxUbuntu-64]   [1,1,1537,0]   [Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 19:58:37]   [1373191117576]   [Release Version]

##   [19:58:37]   [1373191117576]   [INFO]   [140737353845184]   [setLoggedSeverity]   [/data/jenkins/workspace/CodeXL-Full-Linux-Release-1.1/release/CodeXL/1.1/CommonProjects/AMDTOSWrappers/src/common/osDebugLog.cpp]   [897]   [Debug log severity: INFO]

-------------

Sometimes you see a caught qt exemption error illegal etc!

CodeXL System Information

File attached!

My System

System Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 64 bit

3.5.0-36-generic #57~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 20 18:21:09 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Standard AMD Cat drivers:- Ubuntu Additional Proprietary Drivers with Updates-------Tried updatng to 13.04 and 13.10 they screw the system so reinstalled Ubuntu Proprietary Drivers

System is current but pretty much stock!

Hardware

AMD FX 8320,

Saphire Radeon HD 7770, 8GB DDR3 RAM

S/W

fglrx

fglrx-installer-updates (2:9.000-0ubuntu0.3) precise-proposed; urgency=low-----------

-- Alberto Milone <alberto.milone@canonical.com>  Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:42:50 +0100

Cannot for the life of me get newer cat drivers working without stripping out kernel, sad to say AMD GPU's are not in the state anyone should expect in 2013, maybe in 1994 aceptable!
------------------

AMDAPP 2.8

CodeXL 1.1.1157.0

OpenGL seems to work fine

gcc 4.6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETC

OpenCL AMDAPP examples work,

CodeXL teapot works from terminal command line  launch

python and pyOpenCL ok

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried launching from different folders, inc /opt/AMD/CodeXL/bin/./CodeXL-bin same exits

Tried different $LD_Library_PATH, same or worse profiling stops working or issues with libGL.so

including adding /usr/lib/fglrx and /opt/AMD/codex/binl and /opt/AMDAPP/.....

tried hardcoding LD_LIBRARY_PATH in CodeXL, this seems to break things

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CodeXL Install Method

Original install was a rpm -> deb via "alien" , ubuntu software manager

Tried installing from a gz extract,

Tried overlay of gz file over the installed app folders

Tried alt location of extracted .gz file

Tried different users,

root or sudo seems to loose path to OpenGL as you launch profiler on  "teapot", a graphics popup which promptly disappears & u never see the teapot,

profiling continues, not sure the full results are put to screen. when you select debug error popup about missing libGL.so.1, and despite all efforts to path to copy link cannot fix that one! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Libraries and Paths

Had some problems with AMDAPP with libOpenCL.so .... et al  so ln -s to /usr'lib/libOpenCL.so

libOpenCL.so libOpenCL.so.1  libOpenCL.so.1.2  there seem to be lots of versions of the file and links not sure what is what there!

libGL.so libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1.2                           there seem to be lots of versions of the file and links not sure what is what there!

AMDTTeaPot-bin runs from a terminal when run from the local folder, does not when invoked from file-manager click.

Tried using lib file in .../CodeXL/bin/spies .....CodeXL will not launch

have set the path  /usr/lib/fglrx everywhere

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance!

Davo

0 Likes
1 Solution

HI, I upgraded CodeXL no change,

so after failing to upgrade the catalyst drivers again I upgraded ubuntu to 13.04 and used the 13.06 catalyst drivers. Then AMDSPPSDK 2.8.1

I had a small error which was a simple dependency but the examples in the AMD APP SDK work.

sudo apt-get install libgtkglext1

Teapot runs as a standalone, in CodeXL , it profiles and debugs ok.

I can run all my pyOpenCL appletts.

Thanks

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
dorono
Staff

Hi Davo,

CodeXL v1.2 was released 2 days ago. It is available from the CodeXL web page.

Before we investigate this further - can you give CodeXL v1.2 a try and see if the situation improves?

0 Likes

HI, I upgraded CodeXL no change,

so after failing to upgrade the catalyst drivers again I upgraded ubuntu to 13.04 and used the 13.06 catalyst drivers. Then AMDSPPSDK 2.8.1

I had a small error which was a simple dependency but the examples in the AMD APP SDK work.

sudo apt-get install libgtkglext1

Teapot runs as a standalone, in CodeXL , it profiles and debugs ok.

I can run all my pyOpenCL appletts.

Thanks

Dave

0 Likes