Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

spectral
Adept II

Spectral Studio on ATI/AMD GPU & CPU

Hi,

We are working on a GPU rendering software (http://www.spectralpixel.com) and we are currently trying to make it run on ATI GPU.

But, when we compile :

1) The computer freeze for some time, then get back to life

2) Memory usage is 1.2 GB !!! It is really huge !!

We use a Radeon HD6950

Please, can you help us to make it work ?

BTW: The CPU crash too (And it run perfectly with Intel & NVidia drivers)

Regards

0 Likes
10 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

I suggest you should ask the software supplier if AMD products are supported by them. And even after that it should be the software vendor providing support for it. Maybe you can check on some forums related to spectrapixel. all the best.

0 Likes

I'm the software supplier 😄 😄

The AMD product are supported.... but the SDK/runtime does not work 😉

On the CPU : It crash, simply

On the GPU : After 4 hours of compilation... it is still trying to compile, and memory usage go up to 5 GB !!!

My goal is to make it work with AMD drivers...

0 Likes

Hi Himanshu,

Please, can someone from AMD help us to make our software work with the AMD OpenCL SDK .

Thanks

0 Likes

I think you are suffering from same issue than cycles render from Blender. Re: What's wrong with this file?

0 Likes

Thanks,

I'm not sure... maybe it is another problem maybe not. It is up to the AMD Team to check 😛

My kernel does not compile at all on the GPU !!!!!! and on the CPU the application simply crash !!!!

There is now 2-3 years I'm waiting for AMD to fix the problems... I would like to claim that my soft. work on ATI but for now it is impossible !!!! 😞

By example, soon there will be a competition but I cannot offer ATI hardware if they don't provide an AMD runtime that works 😞

0 Likes

I am not familiar with this software, maybe you can give a small introduction of it. Also explain what people use this software  and for what purpose, so its priority can be decided. Also i am not sure if you will be able to give your sources, or atleast the kernels, as kernel compilation seems to be taking huge  time.

0 Likes

Hi Himanshu,

Spectral Studio is a "rendering software", it can be compared to "Cycles" from Blender... but it is just commercial and more advanced. So, the goal is to create a photo realistic image from a 3D scene. You can got your scene from a 3D modeling application (3D studio, Maya, Cinema 4D, Rhino 3D, Lightwave...) and then you apply some materials to each objects and render the image. It is a competitor product to Octane Render, Arion etc... but this one should work on ATI GPU too.

So, I already have and NDA with AMD and I can share the source code and the kernels for debug purpose.

Thanks

0 Likes

So, I already have and NDA with AMD and I can share the source code and the kernels for debug purpose.

Thanks

That is nice. If you have already signed an NDA, you should probably have some contact person, in AMD then to correspond to? Shouldn't you be contacting that person directly? I can try to pass this to my manager, but it may have to go through many hands before reaching the right person.

0 Likes

Thanks,

I have sent you an email... with other peoples in CC, but not sure who I should contact 😉

0 Likes

Interestingly it is me after a round of hops

Lets take it on mails now.

0 Likes