cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

phollensen
Journeyman III

OpenCL implementation roadmap ?

I just had the pleasure of running some tests on a 7970 over at hgpu.org.

Amazing how much simpler you can make things and still get 2.5 TFlops when you have 8MB of registers!

Cudos, AMD.

From what I gather though, there are some current limitations that aren't  documented anywhere.

For instance according to http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1287981#1287981 ,

asynchronous DMA transfers work on PCIe 2.0 but not yet on PCIe 3.0.

Nuggets of information like this are spread thoughout this forum, making it very difficult to know what to expect.

So I'm hoping to get an idea of what issues are on your radar,

and whether they will have to wait on other projects you consider more pressing, such as the Bolt Library.

Another big one is peer-to-peer communication.

From what I gather, the 7990 you are releasing implements Crossfire over a PLX PCIe 3 bridge.

This offers a very low latency path for gpu-gpu communication that, I think, would be boon for many of us.

Are there any intentions to make that available for gpgpu in light of this new hardware release?

In general, it would be very helpful if I could follow an issue and be notified when its resolved,

and also see the number of followers it has so I know if there's broad interest in a feature or if I'm in a small niche.

3 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi,

Thanks for you interest in bringing out these issues.

We had seen the thread you mentioned above and also sent a consolidated crux of it to some people in AMD.

As far as reporting issues and tracking them is concerned, I would recommend forums to be the right choice. I will forward these issues to AMD Engg team.

You can check release notes of Catalyst Driver and APP SDK to see the fixed issues and known issues.

Regarding roadmap, I hope you can understand that it is not safe to reveal roadmaps. So I can't comment on that.

From this post, I guess we have 2 issues that are claimed:

1. DMA does not work with PCI 3.0, but works with PCI 2.0 : I will try to verify that and let you know.

2. 7990 has PLX PCIe bridge, which as i understand is an advancement on the crossfire bus. I will try to check if that bridge works for OpenCL. This may be a bit hard right now as HD 7990 is just released. 

AMD OpenCL roadmap was shared in 2010: http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1507/roadmapf.jpg
But currently there is more.

0 Likes

AMD certainly reveals what it sees fit in their developer conferences and other summits. So may be you can wait for the next AMD Fusion Summit