Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

freighter
Journeyman III

Bug: compiler build option no-bin-llvmir

In the actual version of the AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
OpenCL, December 2012, rev2.4, section 2.1.4  AMD-DevelopedSupplemental Compiler Options
there is mentioned the compiler build option -f(no)-bin-llvmir.

Reproducing the bug :

Use Catalyst 13.3 Beta3 (e.g. for 64bit linux) with runtime OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1124.2).

Now try in AMDAPP KernelAnalyzer2 (e.g. on linux) to load the Template_Kernels.cl taken

from AMDAPP SDK 2.8 and add the build option -fno-bin-llvmir

Result :

>snip<

Internal error: Compilation failed.

--------

========== Build: 0 of 19 succeeded ==========

When removing the option, building the Kernels works ok :

========== Build: started ==========

Error: no .astext section found.

========== Build: 19 of 19 succeeded ==========

It would be nice if this could be fixed, because it has already become a live problem, see http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=71310&postid=1353582

0 Likes
8 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi,

I will check this at my end and let you know. BTW i was able to run the kernel (with -fno-bin-llvmir)  in Windows7. Will check on linux tomorrow.

0 Likes

himanshu.gautam schrieb:

Hi,

I will check this at my end and let you know. BTW i was able to run the kernel (with -fno-bin-llvmir)  in Windows7. Will check on linux tomorrow.

What driver version did you use ? Any of the previous drivers to Catalyst 13.3 Beta3, like 13.1 or 12.8 or ... , came with OpenCL (runtime) compilers, that did not have this problem with building kernels from a .cl

The Template_Kernels.cl was choosen as testcase as it is very simple and available.

0 Likes

Same issue on Windows with latest Cat betas.

Looks like CL-compiler devs forgot to re-read own manual for options they should support

This option causes not compiler error but smth more like compiler crash or what "Internal error" means... Pure bug, please fix.

It's real curse to check almost anything if it work or not on each new Cat release... We use this option to reduce compilation time and binary size... and now app refuses to work on any new Cat drivers.

wtf really

0 Likes

Hi Raistmer,

I had checked on a internal driver build, and i was able to run the Template sample (after specifying "-fno-bin-llvmir" option in clBuildProgram). KernelAnalyzer also run fine. So this issue does not happen with the new driver AMD plans to release. Sorry for the hassle you had to go through.

Note: i had not tested with 13.3 driver yet. I will let you know the results there tomorrow.

0 Likes

It's very pity, that AMD feels free to release as open beta drivers that have really pre-alpha state of GPGPU part.

AMD just scares users away. Now official support of AMD GPUs by SETI@home project is under BIG question. And there are MANY peoples who build PCs with many GPUs in it. What all those peoples will do? They will buy NV GPUs proven to work with our apps.

Does AMD care about its share in GPGPU market? All nice new SDKs and tools mean absolutely nothing if user had to cherry pick drivers where app will work at all !

0 Likes

Point noted. URL bookmarked. Message will be passed to the person who can turn things around.

FYI, the issues was reproduced with 13.3 beta 3 driver on linux 64-bit platform. I will forward that to relevent people too. Thanks for your patience.

I would suggest you to use stable driver 13.1 (rather than 13.3 beta3) as of now.

Message was edited by: Himanshu Gautam

0 Likes

Thanks, Himanshu. I'm sure that with proper software support AMD/ATi hardware can do marvelous things...

0 Likes

Thanks. This helpful for us.

himanshu.gautam schrieb:

FYI, the issues was reproduced with 13.3 beta 3 driver on linux 64-bit platform. I will forward that to relevent people too. Thanks for your patience.

I would suggest you to use stable driver 13.1 (rather than 13.3 beta3) as of now.

Message was edited by: Himanshu Gautam

0 Likes