cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

nagol567
Journeyman III

amd vs nvidia drivers

I purchased a sapphire 7970 card about a month ago. I plugged it into my system as soon as it arrived, updated drivers and started playing games and testing what it could do. honestly, I have been only disappointed in this card. I get screen tearing in almost all my games on a 60htz lcd, and the frame render times are much less consistent then they should be giving me terrible micro-stutter taking me out of immersion. AMD's driver team needs to step it up. my friends gtx 670 looks way smoother in games then my 7970. we set them both up next to each-other and saw that the 670 looked better even though fraps shows the 7970 as having a higher frame rate. Now I'm stuck with my 7970 wishing that i had a 670 or 680. If these drivers don't improve I'm never going amd for graphics again.

0 Likes
4 Replies
realhet
Miniboss

Hi,

Tearing at random y positions:

Turn on VSynch -> Catalyst Control Center/ 3D Settings / Wait for vertical refresh : Always ON

(or turn it on in the game)

Tearing at a stationary y position:

VSynch is ok, but it's probably a secondary display. Try to play on the primary display instead.

0 Likes

I used ccc to find my true refresh rate of my tv is 75 htz. I turned v-synch always on and this helped a little bit but i still do get some micro stuttering in crysis 3, skyrim, homefront. im gonna try out bioshock infinite tonight. and i ran into this video. the amount of frame variance on the 7970's was pretty bad.

0 Likes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHuPxX8ZzQ

the frame time variance on the 7970 crossfire was disgusting. step it up amd!

0 Likes

According to that color bar on the left, there was no VSynch at all no that screen.

With a 6970 and even with a 4850 I had no VSynch problems here at all. Only secondary displays are tricky.

I'm 99% sure that vsynch is working on 7970 too, but I can't test it right now.

If it bugs, I'm also in trouble, because I'm about to develop realtime video mixing stuff on that particular architecture. (Imagine tearing/flicker problems on a giant led wall lol.)

BTW does the game bring some more than 75FPS without VSynch? If not, then it will alternate between 75 and 75/2 FPS. I heard that Nvidia has a new trick to solve this somehow (dynamically adjusted refresh rate based on current FPS or something).

0 Likes