cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ben135
Journeyman III

What is the extent of support for Quad buffers for stereoscopic 3D in OpenGL?

I've tried to get several different simple examples running on an MSI GX60 notebook, which has an A10, integrated Radeon 7660G and dedicated 7970M. So far, the only thing that works properly is the AMD DirectX stereo example while forced to run on the 7660. If I run it on the 7970 which is much more powerful, it doesn't work. Is this a known problem, and will future drivers support the 7970M?

As for OpenGL, nothing works on the 7970, and while support is reported for the 7660, all OpenGL rendering fails to occur in stereo mode (white screen, or transparent window). If I turn stereo mode off in the examples, of course the 3D rendering is fine.

Am I correct in thinking that these are driver problems I'm facing, or have other people successfully implemented OpenGL quad buffers for these ATI cards?

Does anyone know if these (probable) driver problems are acknowledged by AMD and are being addressed?

Many thanks,

Ben

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Ben,

It sounds like you are using a power-express notebook. When the high-power GPU renders the image, the final result ends up getting displayed by the lower-power integrated GPU. I suspect that the drivers are not recognizing that the output display (attached to the integrated GPU) is actually stereo as the higher-end GPU doesn't see it directly. It's kind of a niche setup (power express, high-end + low-power, stereo in a notebook), so I guess it's not a configuration we'd considered. We'll see if we can make it go somehow.

Graham

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ben135
Journeyman III

After a lot of experimenting, I've had some success by reverting my graphics drivers to 8.973.7, setting the desktop resolution to 720p, forcing the notebook to use the low-powered 7660G rather than the high-powered 7970M, and forcing the app to use fullscreen. Any other combination does not work. Is there some reason that only the older drivers work, or why only the 7660G works?

0 Likes

Hi Ben,

It sounds like you are using a power-express notebook. When the high-power GPU renders the image, the final result ends up getting displayed by the lower-power integrated GPU. I suspect that the drivers are not recognizing that the output display (attached to the integrated GPU) is actually stereo as the higher-end GPU doesn't see it directly. It's kind of a niche setup (power express, high-end + low-power, stereo in a notebook), so I guess it's not a configuration we'd considered. We'll see if we can make it go somehow.

Graham

0 Likes

Thanks Graham, that would be much appreciated. I'm using an MSI GX60 gaming laptop. I needed a high powered card to render a complex scene twice for stereo vision and it seems like all the laptops with high powered cards these days also come with an integrated card for optimal power use. Let me know if I can provide any more information.

Regards,

Ben

0 Likes