cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

isti_spl
Journeyman III

clBuildProgram crashes when too many build options

When I provide clBuildProgram a long list of options, such as -D xxx=yyy, the OpenCL compiler seems to crash

in AMD-APP version 831.4 it segfaulted (centos 6.3 64bit)

in version 1113 it hanged.

I narrowed down the problem to the attached testcase file. It can be reproduced easily by commenting out the long buildOptions string.

The build options aren't actually related to the kernel itself (the kernel doesn't use any of them).

As a workaround, converting most of the -D options to #defines managed to get it compiling.

Is there such a limit of maximum number of compiler options?

Istvan

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

hmmm. that's interesting.

The OpenCL spec doesn't seem to be putting any restriction. Will try checking it out on monday.

Can you please share what SDK you installed. Is it SDK 2.8?

Please share about your CPU, GPU, Catalyst Driver.

0 Likes

Hi, first i ran into the issue on windows7, 64bit, sdk 2.8, where opencl reported:

CL_DEVICE_OPENCL_C_VERSION: OpenCL C 1.2

CL_DRIVER_VERSION: 1124.2 (VM)

Cayman GPU.

Then, moved to a linux box CPU only (intel i5), on  the driver versions i reported in the initial post, the behavior was the one described.

0 Likes

System Requirements does not list CentOS as a supported platform

I tried your testcase on machine with V5800 GPU + AMD APU, Ubuntu 12.04LTS (64-bit), With driver version 9.003 (CL_DRIVER_VERSION: 1016.4) and APP SDK 2.8.

I was able to reproduce the issue. The code gives segmentation fault when all the buildOptions are enabled. And it passes properly when lesser number of options are given. I will forward it to AMD engineering Team.

Thanks for reporting it.

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm reviving the thread.

Please can you test with the latest driver and check whether problem persists or not.

Regards,

0 Likes