cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

narf
Adept I

Linux: Is there a way to get fglrx working with HD 7650M at all?

Using Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit, though I don't seem that it really matters. I've been trying to get the fgrlx driver working for days now and I've turned the net upside-down in order to find a solution, but to no avail - nobody seems to have gotten it to work.

I DO NOT have an Intel integrated graphics adapter, here's what lshw and lspci show:

$ sudo lshw -c display

*-display              

description: VGA compatible controller

product: Thames [Radeon 7500M/7600M Series]

vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI

physical id: 0

bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0

version: 00

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom

configuration: driver=radeon latency=0

resources: irq:45 memory:b0000000-bfffffff memory:c4000000-c401ffff ioport:5000(size=256) memory:c4040000-c405ffff

$ lspci | grep VGA

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Thames [Radeon 7500M/7600M Series]

(the exact model I get from googling for SVE1712V1EB - my laptop's model)

I've tried all of the following:

- Installing the fglrx / fglrx-updates packages from Ubuntu's official repository.

- Installing the AMD Catalyst 12.10 driver from AMD's website.

- Installing the AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 driver from AMD's website:

- On a regular kernel

- On a 3.7.x kernel (from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.7.2-raring/) with patches as described in this forum thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074962

- From the xedgers PPA repository: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/2910109/+listing-archive-extra

The last one caused aticonfig to display a "No supported adapters detected" message, but since the others variants detect it AND since it's deffinately not a "legacy" adapter - I doubt that this is really the case.

Whatever I do, X just freezes at boot time (and at least with the 3.7 kernel I can switch to another TTY by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F<number> - on 3.5 I can only press the power button to shut down) and produces the attached Xorg.0.log file. I've tried adding the Modes section to xorg.conf as this seemed to have helped some people, but to no avail.

I know I can use the open-source radeon driver, but AFAIK it lacks good support for the 7000M series and this is not the point anyway ... I don't think I should explain why.

Can anybody answer me how or when would I be able to get fglrx working?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks, icosahedron - blacklisting the open source drivers is indeed a good idea. However, according to my Xorg.0.log, there are no attempts to load them, so it seems that Ubuntu handles that one nicely and Catalyst 12.6 isn't a usable version for me as it doesn't support X Server 1.13.

For anybody that possibly finds their way here in search of the problem that I had - the latest binary driver from AMD's website, 13.2 Beta 3 finally got to run on my laptop! It has its downsides - boot time has dramatically increased, by at least 20 seconds and there are a few seconds during that it appears like the computer has crashed, showing a weird blue and white junk on the screen, but I guess that's due to some runtime self-configuration. Nevertheless, my CPU and GPU temperatures have dropped by almost 10 degrees C (and I assume power usage has dropped too), so it's worth it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
avk
Adept III

I'm afraid that nobody here can help you out . You should probably find the answer somewhere else, in some Linux&FGLRX-oriented forums, or even wait for Ubuntu 13.04 (if you still hope that this version will support your GPU). Sorry .

0 Likes

The problem is, there is no fglrx-oriented forum and this one here is the closest one related to AMD that I've found. Plus, if the driver is produced by AMD's developers and it doesn't work, how could anybody help me, except one such developer.

With Ubuntu's latest kernel images actually making the situation worse (I can no more get the vesa driver working in latest versions), I don't think that waiting for an OS release that is months away is an option. And I've already said in my previous post - I don't think that it has anything to do with Ubuntu at all. Fedora barely managed to show me some scrambled graphics and SUSE didn't even boot.

In an update to the situation, although the 7600M series is listed as supported by the latest Catalyst (13.1, I believe) driver - it doesn't work either. I'll promptly provide any kind of information and will do tests (as long as there is no danger of bricking my laptop) if any of the Catalyst/fglrx devs are willing to help, I'm sure that would benefit many people.

0 Likes

narf,

I had some problems to get my fresh A10 + 7970M to run, following these instructions to the letter ( except driver version ) helped me out -> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/catalyst-12-6-slackware-current-4175418112/#pos...

Doing it any other way caused problems with "fuse control module" and the whole system went belly up from there.

Greetings,

icosahedron

0 Likes

Thanks, icosahedron - blacklisting the open source drivers is indeed a good idea. However, according to my Xorg.0.log, there are no attempts to load them, so it seems that Ubuntu handles that one nicely and Catalyst 12.6 isn't a usable version for me as it doesn't support X Server 1.13.

For anybody that possibly finds their way here in search of the problem that I had - the latest binary driver from AMD's website, 13.2 Beta 3 finally got to run on my laptop! It has its downsides - boot time has dramatically increased, by at least 20 seconds and there are a few seconds during that it appears like the computer has crashed, showing a weird blue and white junk on the screen, but I guess that's due to some runtime self-configuration. Nevertheless, my CPU and GPU temperatures have dropped by almost 10 degrees C (and I assume power usage has dropped too), so it's worth it.

0 Likes