cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

felipe_aburaya
Journeyman III

APP SDK v2.8 in Windows 8 Pro x64 does not work. Why?

Hi everyone,

This is my system:

AMD Phenom II X4 955

8 GB DDR3

Chipset = AMD 785G / SB710

Video Card 1 (PCI Express) = Radeon HD 5670 (Catalyst 12.10)

Video Card 2 (onboard) = Radeon HD 4250 (Catalyst 12.6 Legacy for Win8) -> I made a trick here to use a different driver for each video card

Windows 8 Pro 64 bits (updated in Nov 29th)

Visual Studio 2012 Premium with Update 1

AMD APP SDK v2.7

I also have:

AMD CodeAnalyst 3.8

AMD gDEBugger 6.2 (but it does not work in VS2012)

Currently, the applications in my system that use OpenCL are crashing/failing.

The AMD APP SDK sample applications crash as soon as they start execution.

I also have a C++ project making use of the AMD implementation for OpenCL 1.2, but it gives an error when I first invoke an OpenCL procedure.

To be more specific, the application manages to load the opencl.dll successfully, and clGetPlatform is correctly loaded (using late binding), but the execution clGetPlatform fails. It does not return a status code for an error (that should be anything but CL_SUCCESS), it just crashes.

I did not have these problems in Windows 7 x64 Professional with SP1 + VS2010 Ultimate with SP1.

===========================================================================================================

I carried out some further investigation and I found that the AMD APP SDK DLL's are placed in 2 directories.

1st: Windows Installation directory (Windows\system32 and Windows\sysWoW64)

2st: AMD APP SDK installation directory (bin\x86 and bin\x86-64)

When I use the first, the sample applications crash, but they succeed when I use the second source.

Why?

I also found that the version of the OpenCL implementation in the Windows installation directories are more recent.

Can I get rid of one of them? Which one should I use? How? Why do I have 2 versions to begin with?

Message was edited by: Felipe Aburaya

0 Likes
8 Replies
binying
Challenger

how about a simple helloWorld program?

0 Likes

Even a simple HelloWorld should first call clGetPlatform, and in this case I would still have a crash.

Remind that all the sample applications that come with the APP SDK are crashing too.

Am I the only one having problems with Windows 8 + AMD APP SDK?

0 Likes

Well, the question is that you should be able to run a simple HelloWorld with opencl runtime installed and without installing the whole SDK.

Yeah... that's true. By the way, I have just managed to make it work after deleting amdocl64.dll and opencl.dll from the system32 folder. Now the applications are using the DLL's in the AMD APP SDK installation folder.

The problem is if that's going to last. As soon as I update the Catalyst to the next upcoming version, new DLL's will be put in the widnows installation folder, and I am afraid there will be regression regarding this issue.

0 Likes

I installed Catalyst 13.1 and now the problem is back. I have no workaround this time. The first OpenCL call fails with an structured exception.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Are you sure that you got different drivers installed at the same time?

I would try without the pcie card first, then try with onboard gpu disabled (with pcie obviously ).  I imagine there is also a possibility that you installed something differentlly or windows 8 maybe behaves differently for some reason.

0 Likes

I am sure I have different drivers installed, because I can see different versions of the same driver for each video card. It was not easy to set this up though.

And it still doesn't work when I disable the onboard video card or I roll back to an older driver (Catalyst 12.4).

I have just managed to make it work deleting the opencl64.dll and amdocl64.dll from the system32 folder. However, as soon as I update my Catalyst to the next v12.12, I am afraid the problem is coming back.

0 Likes
binying
Challenger

Sdk 2.8 is released.

0 Likes