cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

streetguru
Journeyman III

Why not focus solely on APUs and the mobile market?

Heard ya'll were having some issues and I thought I'd throw in some ideas you guys have already thought abou

Speaking to AMD as a whole here...

Why not shift your focus purely to APUs(and GPUs), and work on making the top APUs on the market for both the desktop system and the mobile market. I feel it would be a step in the right direction as your APUs seem fairly good now with trinity, and with further improvement and refinement its highly possible that you can snag up the "budget" PC especially in this economy, something that can play games at decent FPS as well as run any software task given to it at great speeds. And while this is being worked on also focus on getting the upper hand in the laptop and mobile market. With better APUs laptops can be made thinner and with less power giving them longer battery life and the like that comes with using a hybrid chip. Tablets and the like can also be greatly improved by having both tasks accomplished by the same chip.

This way you also are not directly competing with intel, and you would surely find your niche in the market.

0 Likes
4 Replies
yurtesen
Miniboss

Are you working for Intel? APUs still have CPU modules in them. Dont you think it woulld be waste of resources to make a fully functioning CPU module but only use them on low power APUs when you can also make CPUs.  When you get rid of the GPU, you can put more CPU cores and  also achieve higher ghz speeds within the same TDP envelope as well...

You still get better performance/price ratio with AMD processors. Dont you think it would be unfair to strip us from the possibility of cheap and well performing parts? Not to mention, would you like Intel to dictate pricing on CPUs all by themselves? You should think about the effects on Intel being the monopoly on CPU production... I am scared of it ever happening. Thats why I buy plenty of AMD CPUs whenever possible (also becaie they are so cheap hehe)

0 Likes

I know that...but what im trying to say is that they can like use that team to improve on the CPU side of it and make that their main CPU Focus kinda thing.

Also why don't they just make the chips like physically bigger(with matching socket) to fit more onto them? especially when they are trying to put a CPU and GPU on one chip

0 Likes

They are already doing that, the APUs use piledriver architecture which is used in new fx cores, am I understanding wrong?

Because it is not feasible from technical and price point of views. There would be a lot of engineering problems to make chips the size of a laptop, and also very very expensive and difficult.

0 Likes

Well not that big..

Also I finally got my A6 PC up and running. its doing both jobs right now with only 8GBs of 1866  and it can run Dota 2 at max settings with minimal skipping, and SC 2 on high on ultra...this thing has power, can't wait till i upgrade to the A10, can't wait to see how fast its going to render things and record footage, before hand it took about 9 hours to render a video

And i ment things like...adding an L3 cache...higher end GPU...clock speed i think is fairly good...as well as doing all this focusing on the budget gamer like myself, I'll be buying AMD in the future if this keeps up

0 Likes