cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

sh2
Adept II

GUI freeze problem finally solved!

Latest beta drivers seems to support gcn additional compute rings.

No gui and mouse freeze!

Requirements:

0. SI/gcn hardware

1. 12.9 drivers

2.  "set GPU_USE_COMPUTE_RINGS=1" env. variable

0 Likes
11 Replies
dmeiser
Elite

I've never heard of the GPU_USE_COMPUTE_RINGS environment variable. Was this added in 12.9? What is it supposed to do?

Cheers,

Dominic

0 Likes

It's unsupported and undocumented feature(for now). It enables two additional hw queue fetchers (ACE), so graphics and compute tasks could run simultaneously.

Thanks for the response. That's very helpful.

Dominic

0 Likes
pwvdendr
Adept II

Could you please detail how to "set GPU_USE_COMPUTE_RINGS=1 env. variable"? Should one declare this inside the .cl file? I'm not getting it to work. Or is this some unix-only terminal thing?

Also, does this mean that we can now run kernels of >5 seconds without the watchdog kicking in?

0 Likes

yes it is unix terminal thing. you can run "export GPU_USE_COMPUTE_RING=1" or "set GPU_USE_COMPUTE_RING=1"

you can set enviroment variables on windows too. use google.

0 Likes

Ok, so it is only usable for those running OpenCL from the command line, not for those running OpenCL through a framework such as JOCL? That's too bad. I'll see if I can find a way around it.

0 Likes

framework is irelevant as you set this variables before execution of program.

0 Likes

Well, I tried it for windows 7 and JOCL and I still had mouse freezes even after setting the environment variable and rebooting. It is with the 12.10 drivers though, but I presume they won't remove such a feature...

0 Likes

It is still nonpreemptive multitasking. If wavefronts run long enough,  they could occupy all gpu resources. Current gpu could not stop wavefront, but it could schedule wavefronts from different tasks independently.

Some details here  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh439326%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

0 Likes

The funny thing is: removing the environment variable and reinstalling the driver afterwards, did work. Now it no longer freezes, even though the env variable is not set. Very curious but it works. Nice job!

0 Likes

No, watchdog timer remains as is.

0 Likes