cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

Bug in Catalyst 12.X CCC setting speed to max

I tried Catalyst 12.2, 12.3 and 12.4 in each case the CCC puts the E-450 APU to full speed even when maximize  battery life is selected. I test this using brazos tweaker and furmark(by the fps counts)

If I re-install the driver, the GPU speed obeys the power manager settings of windows (amd battery saving/performance settings appear in windows power plan also). If I start CCC, the speed gets stuck at full.speed. The only way to get it down is to kill CCC or re-install driver.

Why CC does this?

0 Likes
22 Replies
kcarney
Staff

Thanks for reporting this. I've sent this post to the QA team.

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

I just installed Catalyst 12.6 and it is also setting the GPU to max speed and makes it stick.  Can you please confirm if you are able to replicate this problem? (the box I am using for testing is an HP dm1-4100 with E-450 APU).

Thanks!

0 Likes

I'll ask the Catalyst QA team to try to replicate.

0 Likes

Hi,

This is Sirish from QA team. We verified this issue on a nearest possible Brazos platform using Ontario APU (Sony Vaio) using the latest driver and haven't reproduced the issue.

Sony VAIO Ontario(9802)+Win7 64/8.981 RC4.

Would you mind trying the latest driver 8.981 RC5 and see if it is still reproduced? BTW - what is the tool being used to check the clock speeds?

We are using internal AMD tool - CWDDEPM v4.00 to verify the clock speeds.

I think you are aware that high speeds will apply only when running the applications to full screen or maximizing the app to max extent. Some apps may not require really high clock speeds to load the APU / GPU. So we need to isolate the cases.

If still reproduced using the same builds and considering above parameters, then it could be mostly a platform specific issue in which case, our FAE / Customer Support team should help.

Regards,

Sirish

0 Likes

Hello Sirish,

Can you tell where to find the download link for  8.981 RC5? I see 12.6 and 12.7 beta drivers? Which one is it?

I know that GPU speed changes based on usage normally, however I went to CCC and set the battery save (for both on battery and ac settings). Therefore this must cause GPU to run in low power mode, but it never goes to low power mode...

I think I used gpu-z, but also through gpu observer sidebar gadget, and brazos tweaker utilities. Also, when running furmark, I can tell from the FPS value if the GPU is at high speed or low speed.

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes

I installed 12.7 beta with packaging version 8.981.2-120626a-141571E-ATI and it appears to be working correctly so far...

0 Likes

Hello Sirish,

The 12.7 beta driver seem to work mostly alright. But I found out that when I play a video the speed jumps up to max even when Maximize Battery Life mode is selected in PowerPlay settings. Interestingly, running FurMark does NOT cause speed to be increased. Speed stays up as long as the video player is up and running even with very little GPU usage.

Can you confirm if you are able to repeat this BUG?

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes

Great to hear the progress Evren.

I think it may be expected behavior because videos sometime do demand higher clock speeds despite the status. We can expedite the update to you, if you can help us get the details on the player (application) you are using and the video format you played.

0 Likes

Sirish, the PowerPlay option Maximize Battery Life must stop the GPU from increasing speed even if there is 100% load.

For example YouTube videos cause the speed to be increased. So, you can simply go to YouTube for testing You will see that GPU usage is mostly 0% but still speed is increased.

I have to remind, the PowerPlay settings are set to Maximize Battery Life. Running FurMark which loads GPU 100% does not cause speed increase.

I think it has something to do with DXVA acceleration. It does this also with MPC-HC and Wildlife.wmv (bundled with windows). However the same file does not cause this problem with Windows Media Player (but other files cause the same behaviour with Windows Media Player also)

I think this is a serious problem, people do make battery rundown tests running movies on AMD notebooks. If AMD doesnt fix this problem, AMD notebooks simply will be blamed for high temperatures and battery usage, unnecessarily...

0 Likes

Hi,

We had our MM QA team cross check the issue with 12.4 Catalyst Release on Win7 64 bit OS +HP-R52-Paver AMD E2-1800 APU and not seen any issue with Youtube, WPC-HC and WMP applications. With our AMD internal tools (AMD Graphics Manager and GPU Clock Tool), we have observed that GPU load (UVD clocks) is decreased in Battery mode. Please find attached screen shot ( Both AC and DC mode) for more information. So, the issue may be specific to that platform under use.

Regards,
Sirish

0 Likes

Sirish, can you check the issue on an E-450 APU? With 12.7 Beta drivers using GPU-Z to check the speeds?

I wil attach my screenshots in a few minutes showing the issue (I didnt circle the speed sections, they are easy to spot).

0 Likes

Here are the screenshots attached. As you can see, youtube causes speed increase with 5% GPU usage while furmark with 100% GPU usage does not cause increase in speed.

Can you explain what do you mean by platform issue? Do you mean that the E-450 APU is different than what you used in tests which is E2-1800 APU? Isnt it possible that the driver works differently on these two different products? You should be able to test the issue on an E-450 APU based system. It is not ancient hardware after all! Cant you?

0 Likes

Thanks for the information. I am from Base Driver & 3D QA team and hence have forwarded your concern to our MultiMedia QA team. You may drop in a mail to Vidya.Zakkula@amd.com with your details for further updates. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sirish

0 Likes

Thanks Sirish, I will email him. Also as a side note, the Catalyst 12.6 does not install display driver over 12.3 and it says it is up to date. However I see on my desktop machine that the driver version is newer with 12.6 and indeed there seems to be a newer driver? Screenshot attached...

0 Likes

Sirish, in addition... catalyst 12.6 DOES NOT want to install Display Driver on E-450 APU (it does not suggest it in custom install options).  However 12.4 and 12.7 DOES suggest installing the Display Driver.

However, in 12.7, I realized that it often causes machine to crash when viewing youtube videos So, I am at where I started... Are you able to replicate these issues?

0 Likes

Regarding driver installation failure, as already informed, Catalyst 12.6 doesnt have support to Mobile APUs. We asked Marketing team to make a specific mention about this in the release notes. Below link consists of the supported products.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion126ReleaseNotes.aspx

If you have further Qs on product support, please do email, Andrew Dodd (Andrew.Dodd@amd.com).

Regarding Youtube failure, please do email, Zakkula Vidya (Vidya.Zakkula@amd.com).

0 Likes

sirishkumar wrote:

Regarding driver installation failure, as already informed, Catalyst 12.6 doesnt have support to Mobile APUs. We asked Marketing team to make a specific mention about this in the release notes. Below link consists of the supported products.

Sirish, then there is a bug. I downloaded "AMD Mobility Radeon™ Driver Verification Tool"

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

and it downloads catalyst mobility 12.6 for my APU. If it is not supported, why does it do that?

0 Likes

Hello Sirish,

I also realized that enabling 'Allow AMD Steady Video only' option in CCC at Video->AMD Steady Video

section causes the GPU to get stuck at highest speed. If the option is selected and saved, the state persists between reboots. Deselecting it does not reverse the full power state until reboot.

Can you test that? (I am on 12.3 since you say 12.6 does not support APUs, yet my catalyst is regularly suggesting to upgrade to 12.6, strange?)

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes

Below link consists of the supported products in Cat 12.6.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion126ReleaseNotes.aspx

If you have further Qs on product support, please do email, Andrew Dodd (Andrew.Dodd@amd.com).

0 Likes

The link you provided clearly states that the following are supported which are embedded in the E-450 APU (6320 is what I have).

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 6300M Series

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 6300 Series

0 Likes
joeybogaars
Journeyman III

Hi everybody,

I bought a Compaq CQ57 with a E-450+Radeon 6320 and to be onest, this system is unstable, i've tried everything to make it better but it doesn't work at all. The CPU get stuck when im multitasking and the screen is hanging when i play youtube-clips/video's. This is kinda annoying, the CPU is way TOO instable, the Radeon  6320 is quite good...the graphics seems to be good enough if it doesn't lag. But the system overall is, not good at all. I have a tweaked Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and even that doesn't work. I replaced my HDD for a SSD and even that doesnt work, i bought 2GB extra RAM but even that seems not to bring every difference. AMD-Overdrive doesn't work on this CPU/GPU. What to do? Overclocking is impossible, more RAM isn't a option. Please help me out and give me some options.

Gr. Joey

0 Likes

I recommend sending the laptop to HP service if it is hanging when you play youtube videos. I have HP dm1 with e-450 and it is working very fine.

0 Likes