cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dert
Adept I

Bug in Catalyst 12.4

Hey folks, just got notified to update my Catalyst for my ATI Radeon HD5700 series so I did (Version 12.4 Dated 4/29/2012).  Interesting problem popped up right afterwards.  My card is attached to my flat screen TV (I'm using the PC as a media center) via an HDMI cable.  When I turn my TV off for the night and back on again in the morning, I have no audio from the PC over the HDMI cable!  The audio properties show the HDMI cable to be unplugged but clearly it's not since I'm reading it on the screen.  If I unplug and plug the HDMI cable back in, voila!  Sound is back.  I have to re-seat the cable for this to recover, I've tried disabling and enabling the device, defaulting to external speakers via RCA cables into the motherboard etc....cable has to be unplugged and plugged back in again.  It's not the flat screen, I tried using different HDMI ports on it (I've got 3) and my PS3 and whatnot run just fine with all 3 ports.  It's not the Radeon hardware, the video and sound work just fine after re-seating the cable.  The problem started immediately after your last driver update so I'm quite sure that's where the problem lies.  I believe it's some kind of "sleep" issue??  In another words, for some reason when the external HDMI receiver powers off, Catalyst now treats that as "unplugged" and only the audio cannot recover properly when the device powers back on.  Take a peek please and let me know what you find.

71 Replies
gew
Journeyman III

Cheers, my fellow companions. Now, let me get you up to speed on this. After first encountering the issue, I found this thread and tried the approaches involving disabling AMD External Events (under 'services.msc'), yet it was to no luck. What solved the issues straight up was installing the 12.6 BETA, which is linked above in this thread. So, that's the simplest thing to do. I usually lean a bit weak towards BETA releases, yet I haven't found a single problem with this one.

Cheers!

0 Likes

We have tickets’s for these scenarios which should be fixed in 8.98 & 8.981 respectively:

• 352635: (G) HDTV loses AMD audio device if powered OFF/ON
  • 352696: [AUDIO QA] Audio switching between AMD HD Audio and  RealTek HD Audio not observed when Audio Source  is Turned ON/OFF.
0 Likes

dear kristen,all

i have just purchased ATI HD RADEON 6770 and ccc updates has stacked to 11.11 .. though 12.4 is available

pls advice what can i do ?? any fix available ?

i changed my graphic card due to late start up of WIN 7 64 BIT system with black screen with cursor .

seems though the new card did not fix my problem

thanks in advance

0 Likes

Same for me, updated to 12.6, and it seems fine, issue seemed
resolved, however, shortly after the update, the problem returned.  If
boot up my system and the HD TVs are connected (via HDMI), all is fine, but if
I change either of the HD TVs to some other mode, say normal TV, Xbox360, DLNA,
etc., and then return to computer monitor mode at some point, I sometimes lose
the audio.  If I turn off one of the two HD TVs and turn it back on, I
almost always lose audio but not video.  So as far as I am concerned, the
issue still exists.  I don't recall 12.2 or 12.3 ever doing this.

I have a Visio E320VL (VIZ0067) and a Sharp Aquos (SHP105B)
connected to two ATI HD 5450s, one per HDTV, but the issue also happens with
the onboard 4290 as well, for the system in question.  The only solution I
have found is to go into the Catalyst Manager, and force the given TV to be
reinitialized via the HDTV EDID override option, this seems to cause Windows 7
64 bit (well, the Catalyst driver) to rediscover the HDTV completely, and thus
restores the audio connection, what is odd is the video connection never fails
to respond, but ATI must understand the specifics of this better than I.
I only sometimes get the dialog popup that says I that I am using a DVI-to-HDMI
connection, which is bull, everything is straight HDMI from video adapter to
each HDTV.  But this maybe a clue as to what is going on?

0 Likes

Hello,

If you've got a Catalyst specific question, try posting it in the Catalyst forum here: http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=428&entercat=y

You'll probably get a faster reply on the Catalyst forum than here on the software developer forums.

If you've got a Catalyst bug, you can file a report here:

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EAC

Also, you can contact AMD support either by email (http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/) or by phone (http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/global-technical-support.aspx)

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

Hi I'm having same problem as all forums,loose sound when powering off/on without able to reconnct without removing HDMI cable. I noticed that some have had success with the 12.6 beta, problem for me is that its for HD series 5000 and up. I have HD serie 4300/4500, whats best for me to try? Below is the driver version, What version should I be using?Capture 1.PNG

0 Likes
sintro
Journeyman III

Has anyone tried the 12.7 beta version? It seems like the same HDMI audio problem exists.

I haven't been able to upgrade for the past 6 months due to this bug.

0 Likes

If you try the 12.7 beta version and the bug is still there, will you please report the issue here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4

Also, you can post to this thread on the forums & I'll follow up with some folks internally!

I'm sorry about the bug! And thank you very much for letting me know.

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

Kristen,

Why has this not been addressed since 12.4? Even the latest release, 12.6 stated it was fixed. How long must we suffer with this bug?

I had to downgrade to 12.3 to fix it but I worry about stability issues.

0 Likes

Hi Kristen, I actually filled in the support survey and reported this bug in 12.7 beta before I posted to this forum.

Please let me know if you require more information as we all like to see this bug fixed as soon as possible. Thanks.

0 Likes
lemo360
Journeyman III

Hi there
i want to ask you guys if you encounter seem problem to me every thing it ok until i update the new catalyst 12.6 the problem is the output of the HDMI sound is distorted. It sounds tinny, sometime there is a humming noise whenever the sound plays and it happen constantly if i set the screen in HD resolution i rollback to cat 12.1 and still have the seem problem !!! please if there a solution help me T_T .

sorry if there is mistakes in typing  cuz English its not my first language  .

Greetings / Mohammad .

i forget XFX 7970 CORE EDITION

0 Likes

I still experience the issue off and on, with 12.6 beta on, it is a bit better than 12.4 release, but it still happens.  Expecially if I boot the PC and the TV is off when the OS (Windows 7 64bit) is coming up, 12.4 would consistently never enable the audio if I turned the TV at some point after boot up.  Windows finds the TV if I turn it on consistenly, but sometimes the audio does not activate on 12.6 and later, I would say about 35% of the time now.  I have changed HDMI cables, changed PCs to test, etc., this is not hardware related.  Sometimes even now the issue happens when I change the TV from desktop HDMI connection to something else, say cable TV, then back to desktop HDMI, the audio has dropped out, the amount of time for the switch does not seem to be an issue.  This happens with different TVs, I have Sharp Aquous and Vizio models, and I had never saw this issue with Windows XP (older version of Catalyst, I think 11.x range) or Catalyst 12.2/.3.  When the audio drops, maybe 10% of the time, I get the pop-up dialog that says that my HDMI connection is through a DVI connection, so no audio support is possible, that is bull of course.

0 Likes

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having problems with the Catalyst drivers.

Have you reported the issues with the Catalyst 12.6 driver here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4

These reports go to AMD's Catalyst driver team. I can't tell you how much we appreciate your time & effort in bug reporting!

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

This bug is present now on windows 8

was fixed in windows 7.

I have reported it here already :

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4

0 Likes

I was experiencing this problem in the evaluation version of windows 8 but updating my drivers to 12.8 for windows 8 seems to have fixed it.  Just wanted to put that out there.

0 Likes
mattpatto
Journeyman III

Hey guys 12.3 is the only driver WITHOUT HDMI audio issues, some people have sorted it with 12.6 BETA. The problem is with 2D applications such as movies etc yet while gaming their is no audio issue even in latest 12.8. I've submitted a quick fix to AMD tech support and its tested in all driver versions and works including 12.8 and here it is.

Playing a game their is no need to do this, but if you want to listen to music watch internet video or watch movies follow these steps.

Open catalyst control centre

Click on my digital flat panels

Click on LCD Overdrive

Tick Enable LCD Overdrive then click apply

Reverse this procedure so untick LCD Overdrive and apply again.

That's it your audio will be working even on 12.8.

Please note you need to do this every time you turn on your computer if you want to watch vidoes music etc. Hopefully AMD will resolve this issue sooner than later.

0 Likes

I built my htpc in april so I had the 12.4 installed standard on my A6-3500.

Had the issue from day one when I connect via remote desktop to start my music in the living room.

It works like it should for 5 minutes, then the HDMI audio goes to "not plugged in"

Touching my wireless keyboard solves this but it is really irritating.

I rolled back to the 12.3 drivers, but I still have this.

Is uninstalling, rebooting and installing enough? Or do I need to driver clean / format or something?

Isn't there a way around this? Create a small tool that re-activates the hdmi audio each xxx minutes?

0 Likes

Yer its a pain guys, and if you turn off your monitor or it enters sleep mode you need to repeat the steps listed in my last post. More importantly why hasn't this issue still been resolved? Starting to make me think about converting back to NVIDIA. 

0 Likes

Problem with this is, 12.3 is for 32bit ,I can't download 12.3 with win 7, 64 bit op system.... 12.6 beta does nothing ,to help my ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500, I"M LOST? What a pain!

0 Likes

Thanks...tried it , goes through the motions then tells me driver is already up to date. Doing something wrong? have to uninstall exsisting 1st?

0 Likes

I would

0 Likes
scofieldtaylor
Journeyman III

new bug ? , i don't know

0 Likes
mtaher
Journeyman III

Hi

I am having the same problem with my 7970 using the latest 12.11 beta driver, hope this issue gets fixed soon as it's a very frustrating issue, I can't believe the problem went all the way up to version 12.11 without being fixed!

0 Likes
lemo360
Journeyman III

now almost 9 month since i bought my ati 7970 and until now have this problem even in windows 8 when you will fix it .

0 Likes
mtaher
Journeyman III

The problem is not found in version 12.10 and I think it started to disappear from 12.8 and up, I wonder why it's found in 12.11 beta, maybe because it's a beta version. however it offers an incredible performance gains but as you see with a price of being unstable, hope AMD fixes this soon

0 Likes
mpsk
Journeyman III

I'm not sure where to put this comment, but I have tried all of the solutions proposed on this forum and I still have no sound. I lost sound exactly after the AMD update to what they are calling 12.4 on this forum, was installed. The update that seems to be called 9.961 in my device manager, a beta, did not solve the problem, neither did rolling back my drivers for display or sound. Another problem which may be related, a Windows prompt informed me that "kbdb.exe has stopped working" occurred at the same time. I did find a fix for this online, by uninstalling an AMD Catalyst component. Perhaps the two issues are related. I have tried all the combinations that I can think of of rolled back drivers, kbdb, catalyst betas and other solutions proposed here. No Sound.

I expect a lot more from AMD. I have lots of equipment here made useless by a simple patch, which had profound and preventable consequences.

I am running 64 bit Win 7 on a Sanyo HDTV, a 4600 series card.

Could someone at AMD please give me a fix to this problem? If this is not fixed very soon I will be getting a new video card and it will not be an AMD.

0 Likes

Have you tried to install the newest Catalyst 13.1? If not, then please do it. I'm not sure wether it'll resolve your problem with HDMI sound or not, but I think you'd give it a try. Also, I'd like to suggest you to use the Driver Sweeper utility (http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html) they way described in the URL. If 13.1 won't help, well, then, I suppose, you'd install any pre-12.4 Catalyst (for example 12.3). Good luck .

0 Likes
mmalinschi
Journeyman III

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst124bhotfix.aspx

here is the hotfix

worked just fine on my pc

0 Likes

The hotfix did not work, I still have no sounds.

This is ridiculous, I've never heard of a routine update that does this much harm. AMD, can you please send me a new video card? Not the best you have, just something that works.

0 Likes
asteq
Journeyman III

Try this site (it's partly in polish but is that a problem at the age of web translators ?):

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2460769.html#11755975

Good luck !

0 Likes
jboat
Journeyman III

I was having the exact same problem after the most recent update for catalyst. I tried downloading older versions and tried all available hot fixes and nothing worked. I actually found out that somehow the device muted itself. I went into my playback devices and checked the properties of the HDMI output device and saw it was muted under the levels tab. Not sure how it happened but it fixed it.

0 Likes