Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dkayser
Journeyman III

Fourth Monitor for FirePro 2460 - fglrx

0 down vote favorite 

share [g+] share [fb]

I am running 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux with the FirePro 2460 with the following driver.

fglrx                                  2:8.960-0ubuntu1

I can get 3 monitors working fine each running under a different xserver DISPLAY name, :0.0, :0.1, :0.2. When I add the fourth monitor, I end up with the following error in Xorg.0.log.

Does anyone know if this is supported? Is this an error in configuration? Is this an error in the driver?

Should I ask these questions elsewhere?

[4.063] (EE) fglrx(3): Display Infrastructure Failed Due to Hardware Limitation
[4.063] (EE) fglrx(3): PreInit failed

Thanks, Donald Kayser

0 Likes
1 Solution
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi Donald,

can you please provide some details on how you connected the monitors. Are they all connected using passive Display Port to DVI or HDMI adapters?

Actually you cannot connect 4 different DVI monitors to the 2460. You should connect them through Display Port. If the monitor does not support DisplayPort you should use active DisplayPort to DVI adapters. Those behave to the graphics board as a DP connection.

All DP monitors can share a single clock whereas each DVI monitor needs its own clock. So the number of possible DVI/HDMI monitors is limited.

A list of recommended active DP to DVI/HDMI adapters can be found on: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi Donald,

can you please provide some details on how you connected the monitors. Are they all connected using passive Display Port to DVI or HDMI adapters?

Actually you cannot connect 4 different DVI monitors to the 2460. You should connect them through Display Port. If the monitor does not support DisplayPort you should use active DisplayPort to DVI adapters. Those behave to the graphics board as a DP connection.

All DP monitors can share a single clock whereas each DVI monitor needs its own clock. So the number of possible DVI/HDMI monitors is limited.

A list of recommended active DP to DVI/HDMI adapters can be found on: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

0 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks for the answer. That makes sense now. I have been able to get 4 DVI monitors working with each pair of monitors being 'identical'. Very interesting that I could still get each of the 4 monitors at a different resolution. We noticed that the monitor didn't really report the new mode, but the one that it started with. The GPU must be doing the work.

Cool, and thanks for the answer.

Donald

0 Likes
pee2002
Journeyman III

I would only want an official answer as there are many questions in the many comments I've seen out there:

The system:

2x FirePro 2460

8x Asus VE228H (only have DVI connection)

The question:

Can i connect all of them with the included mini displayport to DVI-D passive adapters?

Regards

0 Likes

I don't know what you mean by an official answer. The correct answer should be sufficient. This card has 2 clocks, so the most monitors that can be supported with different characteristics is 2. If two monitors share the same characteristics, they can share one clock. So, the answer is dependent on the types of monitors connected. By adding an Active Display port, about $25, you can connect more monitors that are of mixed characteristics. This card has 4 Display Port outputs, and Display Port monitors don't need a clock, so you can connect up to 4 different Display Port monitors without any problems.

It all depends on the type and mix of monitors.

Donald

0 Likes

Thanks for your effort in trying to explain me. I appreciate it.

So, in this specific case:

2x FirePro 2460

8x Asus VE228H (only have DVI connection)

Can i connect all of them with the included mini displayport to DVI-D passive adapters?

0 Likes

The explanation from Donald is correct. You can have multiple DisplayPort monitors that share a single clock but since DVI monitors can request each a different frequency for the data exchange each DVI monitor should have its own clock. This limits the amount of DVI monitors that can be connected to the 2460 to two. Anyhow the driver decides based on the EDID from the monitor  if the DVI monitors are identical. If they submit the same EDID they are considered being identical and they can share a single clock. Supposing that your VE228H submit all the same EDID you can connect 4 of them to a 2460 using the passive adapters.

THANK YOU!

0 Likes

Hi Guys

I'm going to be connecting (I hope ) 3 identical Sony 50-inch displays via HDMI (KDL50W800B). Does anyone know if this will work? (Using Win7 Pro with SP1 and latest Catalyst SW

Thanks

Mark

0 Likes

Hi,

which GPU are you using? If the monitors are identical it should work when using a FirePro. A safe option is to use active DP to HDMI adapters, those behave like DP to the GPU. To get a list of active adapters please see: AMD Eyefinity Technology - Recommended Adapters

Chris

0 Likes

Thanks for reply

Monitors arrived yesterday and worked OK. I did order Active adapters as backups, but didn't need them

Regards

mark

0 Likes