Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cadorino
Journeyman III

VLIW on Cypress and vector addition

Hi to everybody.
I'm thinking about VLIW utilization on a 5870 HD.

Suppose you have the following kernel:

__kernel void saxpy(const __global float * x, __global float * y, const float a)

{

uint guid = get_global_id(0);

y[guid] = a * x[guid] + y[guid];

}

Each work item operates on a single vector element and no vectorization (float4).
Is the compiler still capable of packing instructions to exploit the 4 ALUs of each processing element?

Is there any tool to determine the way instructions are packed into VLIW?

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
18 Replies

The compiler only packs the VLIW with computation within a work-item, not across work-items. Multicore ware has some software that will allow you to pack across work-items, which can be found here: http://www.multicorewareinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=106

0 Likes

Ok, so what if there are not enough alu instructions per work-item to be packed to exploit the 4 ALUs?

0 Likes

Then your program is not utilizing the entire machine and cannot reach peak efficiency.

0 Likes

Ok, so it is possible for a PE to get a VLIW containing less than 4 operations, and in this case some ALUs are idle. Right?

0 Likes

Ok, so it is possible for a PE to get a VLIW containing less than 4 operations, and in this case some ALUs are idle. Right?

0 Likes

Peak efficiency is only when all your 4 or 5 ALUs have work to do in every cycles.

If you disassemble your code (use kernel analyzer), you can easily spot the idle ALUs.

for example:

10  x: SUB_INT     T0.x,  PV9.z,  KC0[2].x

w: SETGE_UINT  ____,  PV9.z,  KC0[2].x    ;y,z,t sleeps

11  z: AND_INT     ____,  T0.y,  PV10.w              ;x,y,w,t sleeps

12  y: CNDE_INT    T1.y,  PV11.z,  T0.z,  T0.x     ;x,z,w,t sleeps

13  x: ADD_INT     ____,  KC0[2].x,  PV12.y        ;y,z,w,t sleeps

this is so unoptimal that is does only 5 operations under 4 clocks, the possible maximum would be 4*5=20 operations (on vliw5)

826  x: XOR_INT     T1.x,  R28.w,  T0.w

y: SETGT_UINT  ____,  T1.x,  T0.w

z: XOR_INT     T3.z,  KC0[13].z,  R20.y      VEC_021

w: SETGT_UINT  T2.w,  T2.w,  R15.y      VEC_201

t: SETGT_UINT  T0.w,  R9.x,  T1.y

827  x: ADD_INT     ____,  T0.z,  T2.z

y: ADD_INT     T2.y,  T0.y,  T2.x      VEC_021

z: ADD_INT     T0.z,  T1.z,  T2.y      VEC_210

w: ADD_INT     ____,  PV826.y,  T3.y      VEC_021

t: SETGT_UINT  ____,  T3.w,  R5.x

this one is maximum utilization. 10 operationc in 2 clocks.

There are tricks to improve local paralellism in code (other than simply vectorizing everything) like breaking dependency chains:

for example  a+b+c+d  -> (a+b)+(c+d)

0 Likes

or you can proceed 2-4 work items in one work item. like this. but it has disadvantage as it increase register usage.

__kernel void saxpy(const __global float * x, __global float * y, const float a)

{

for(int i=0;i<4;i++)

y[guid*4+1] = a * x[guid*4+i] + y[guid*4+i];

}

0 Likes
kbrafford
Adept II

If he rewrote the kernel to use float4 types, would that also cause MMX/SSE registers to be used with compiled for a CPU device?

__kernel void saxpy(const __global float4 * x, __global float4 * y, const float a)

{

y[guid] = (float4)a * x[guid] + y[guid];

}

0 Likes

yes you need use explicit vector types to utilize SSE instructions on CPU with AMD OpenCL

0 Likes

Thank you very much you all, your answers are really useful!
I already wrote a float4 version of the kernel, but I posted the float version since I'm trying to get into details of low-level aspects of VLIW compilation and execution.

For what regards vectorized types, I agree that on CPU this enables SSE execution. Bu what for GPUs? For example, is the sum of two float4 elements spread across the 4 ALUs or the sum of each component is executed sequentially on a single ALU?

0 Likes

I am not entirely sure what you mean with single ALU. but one workitem is executed only on one 5D/4D unit. and you will get packed instruction if is there enough independent instructions.

0 Likes

On hd6xxx there are 4 physical ALUs for each workitems. The compiler will schedule operations for each of the ALUs on every single clocks. Also the compiler must ensure that there are no data dependency across the ALUs (eg. ALU x cannot use the result from ALU y in a single clock).

In our case [Very Large Instruction Word] means that one instruction contains at most 4 subinstructions for each of the four ALUs.

If it's not complicated enough: on the HD4xxx,5xxx there is a fifth ALU which handles the complicated instructions. So 4 ALUs can do simple math like mul, add, and the 5th can handle special things like cos().

SSE is SIMD. It means one instruction will do the same operation on 4 different datas. SIMD can interpreted as a special case of VLIW where all ALU's have to do the same operation on data packed into vectors (eg. float4)

GCN architecture dropped VLIW. On that a simple sequential code which even contains long dependency chains will do fine. So there is no need to have 4 or 5 independent execution paths in your algo, but for maximum utilization you'll have to feed it with 4x more workitems.

(you know, the example code here is rather theoretical: Its bottleneck is memory IO, all the ALUs are sleeping and waiting for the memory units. Also the hardest ALU calculation is not the a*b+c (1 mad instruction) but get_global_id(0) (modulo/rangecheck/add operations) and address calculations for the 3 indirectly addressed buffers.)

0 Likes

Great answer! Thank you
So, summarizing, the grouping of instructions may allow to exploit all the 4/5 ALUs and this exploitation depends on the program and on the compiler.

0 Likes

>>On hd6xxx there are 4 physical ALUs for each workitems.

It's actually only the hd69xx (and Trinity) which use VLIW4. The rest of the hd6xxx family uses VLIW5, similar to the earlier parts.

The GCN parts (hd77xx and higher) use 4 scalar SIMDs in a CU rather than 1 VLIW4 SIMD.

0 Likes

My bad I didn't use specific series numbers. Somehow I thought if I learn ISA on the 7970 I will be able to reuse the same code on the whole 7xxx series later. But it was until your post Thx for the info.

0 Likes
cadorino
Journeyman III

Great topic. I would like to ask you another thing without starting another topic.
Given a disassembled kernel like:

00 ALU: ADDR(32) CNT(11) KCACHE0(CB0:0-15) KCACHE1(CB1:0-15)

0  t: MULLO_INT   ____,  R1.x,  KC0[1].x     

1  x: ADD_INT     ____,  R0.x,  PS0     

2  w: ADD_INT     ____,  PV1.x,  KC0[6].x     

3  z: LSHL        ____,  PV2.w,  2     

4  y: ADD_INT     ____,  KC1[0].x,  PV3.z     

z: ADD_INT     ____,  KC1[1].x,  PV3.z     

5  x: LSHR        R2.x,  PV4.z,  2     

y: LSHR        R0.y,  PV4.z,  2     

w: LSHR        R0.w,  PV4.y,  2     

01 TEX: ADDR(48) CNT(2)

6  VFETCH R0.x___, R0.w, fc153  MEGA(4)

FETCH_TYPE(NO_INDEX_OFFSET)

7  VFETCH R1.x___, R0.y, fc153  MEGA(4)

FETCH_TYPE(NO_INDEX_OFFSET)

02 ALU: ADDR(43) CNT(1) KCACHE0(CB1:0-15)

8  x: MULADD_e    R0.x,  KC0[2].x,  R0.x,  R1.x     

03 MEM_RAT_CACHELESS_STORE_RAW: RAT(11)[R2].x___, R0, ARRAY_SIZE(4)  MARK  VPM

END_OF_PROGRAM

can I assume that each instruction 0 - 8 is executed in a clock cycle?

In the example I've 9 instructions. Can I say that they take 9 cycles to get executed? (obviously, after the fetch clause the wavefront will be switched off until data is available, but I'm referring exclusively to executing instructions, ignoring the time spent in waiting for memory accesses to complete)

0 Likes

yes, the first ALU clause takes 6 core clock cycles and the second takes one.

But these are relatively small clauses interleaved with memory clauses so there are lots of penalties at the transitions of the clauses.

Ideally alu clauses can hold 128 slots but these are small ones.

Lets say you have 2 wavefronts A,B and C assigned to a compute unit:

ALU               memory unit

A: 00 ALU       idle

B: 00 ALU       A: 01 TEX

C: 00 ALU       A: 01 TEX still (it's slow operation compared to small ALU stuff)

A: 02 ALU       B: 01 TEX

idle                 B: 01 TEX still

B: 02 ALU       A: 03 MEM

idle                 C: 01 TEX

idle                 C: 01 TEX still

C: 02 ALU       B: 03 MEM

idle                 C: 03 MEM

(oups maybe the memory output unit is separated from the texture unit but it's only an illustration of how the different parts of a compute unit can work in paralell)

(and the compiler did a good job compiling that MULADD into one instruction)

0 Likes

Fantastic. Are wavefronts switched only when a fetch occurs?

0 Likes