Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Meteorhead
Challenger

Windowing system tutorials

Hi!

I have already written an OpenCL runtime class for myself to facilitate my work in future (and running) projects. Right now I'm making an CL-GL interop application, and I am writing an OpenGL runtime of some sort. OpenGL is structured (unfortunately) a whole lot differently, but what is a lot more painful, it is OS-dependant, furthermore the WinAPI and X windowing system don't even have types corresponding to contexts, devices, windows and displays that would match on a 1-1 basis. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

So to make it short, I would need some good tutorials on how to query things like number of displays, number of devices, query information about them, and things like that. What happens when an application is dragged from one display to the other (does the context get moved to a different device if the display is rendered by another device)? (These things would be crucial when making interop applications, since I have to merge OpenCL calculations in some way to another device (or move just the data)).

I don't have much time, and I would like some good reading that could teach me the knicks 'n' knacks of these two windowing systems in roughly 1 day of reading time.

Thank you for your help.

ps.: I know that the OpenCL Programming Guide at it's very end in the appendix has some stuff about these things, but I would like to see a bit more of the bigger picture before I start coding a runtime class. I don't like hacking and I would like to make it right.

0 Likes
2 Replies
kcarney
Staff

Hello!

This is a great suggestion for a webinar/tutorial. I'll going to forward your post above to the person at AMD who handles tutorials & webinars to see what they think.

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

Hi Kristen,

indeed that would be nice. My diploma thesis is due in one month time, so most likely I'll have to use some hardcoded stuff for that, but all of us would benefit from something like this, if we could shorten development time by knowing the mechanics, the pitfalls of writing robust graphical feedback, and by creating wrapper classes according to our individual needs.

Cheers,

Máté

0 Likes