cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Nasenbaer
Adept I

gDebugger OpenCL-Kernel-Debugging error - Kernel uses unsupported features.

Hi,

I have a problem with using gDebugger 6.1 to debug a simple kernel on the GPU. I know that this topic is already discussed here several times but no hint helped so far.

Here is the kernel source:

__kernel void gauss( __global float *outImg )

{

int destX = get_global_id(0);

int destY = get_global_id(1);

outImg[ destY * 1024 + destX * 3 + 0 ] = 0;

outImg[ destY * 1024 + destX * 3 + 1 ] = 0;

outImg[ destY * 1024 + destX * 3 + 2 ] = 0;

}

As you can see I already simplified my kernel as much as possible but I still get this error.

My system config:

Windows 7 x86 SP1

Radeon HD5870 with Catalyst 11.12 (as suggested in a similar thread)

Using MS Visual Studio 2010 with gDebugger 6.1.262.0 Plug-In

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I suggest using the newly released Catalyst 12.4. You will also need this driver for OpenCL 1.2 debug support and Radeon HD 7000 series debug support.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
timsmith
Staff

gDEBugger 6.2 has now been released at

http://developer.amd.com/tools/gDEBugger/Pages/default.aspx

Please try this version.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I already did a quick test yesterday and the error message disappeared but I was still unable to step through the kernel. The debugger stopped correctly at the kernel-function entrypoint and a press on F10 lead to leaving the kernel and continuing with the next OpenCL-API function.

I used the OpenCL 1.2 Beta driver for this test.

But as this was only a short test it may be was a problem caused by a wrong usage of gDebugger so I'll check more precisely this weekend (with an additional test under linux, too).

Is the OpenCL 1.2 Beta driver the right choice for gDebugger or is another version better?

0 Likes

I suggest using the newly released Catalyst 12.4. You will also need this driver for OpenCL 1.2 debug support and Radeon HD 7000 series debug support.

0 Likes

Ok I'll check this soon and report my results afterwards.

0 Likes

Ok using the official WHQL-certified Catalyst 12.4 driver did the trick. Kernel-debugging now works quite well.

Is it true that for each step (for step-wise kernel debbuging) the kernel is executed as a whole on the device? Because initially each step took a while to complete. And then I reduced the input data amount and this reduced the time a lot.

0 Likes