cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

timchist
Elite

Black screen after driver installation in openSUSE 11.4

I tried to install Catalyst 12.3 driver on openSUSE 11.4. After installation and rebooting black screen is shown (and sometimes also a cursor in the topleft corner). The monitor indicates that it receives a signal in 1920x1080 60Hz, but no picture is shown.

I followed these instructions for installation: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/SUSE/openSUSE (section 2.1).

Attached are xorg configuration files and Xorg startup logs are attached.

Any help will be very appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Which GPU do you have ?

0 Likes

Radeon HD 5850

0 Likes
timchist
Elite

After a fresh install of the OS with only Radeon GPU I managed to install the Catalyst driver. The system remained operational even when I returned the NVIDIA card to slot 1 with nouveau driver (Radeon GPU can only be installed in slot 2 in my system, it does not fit otherwise). However, when I tried to install nvidia proprietary drivers, X-server stopped booting -- fglrx driver hangs during X-server startup.

From that it seems that AMD driver does not work correctly in Linux if both NVIDIA and AMD cards are installed and NVIDIA proprietary driver is used. It also seems to matter that in order to reproduce the problem NVIDIA card must be in slot 1, while AMD GPU is in slot 2.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

0 Likes

This is what I've done for a linux system with one AMD card and NVIDIA card.  Put the AMD card in the primary graphics slot and the NVIDIA card in the secondary.  Connect the monitor to the AMD card.  From a fresh install of the OS, first install the proprietary NVIDIA driver (directly from their website), configure xorg.conf and reboot.  Then install the proprietary AMD driver (again, directly from their website), configure xorg.conf and reboot.

I think that should do it for you.  I ran into trouble installing the AMD stuff before the NVIDIA stuff because NVIDIA seemed to overwrite some things with incompatible files, but from what I could tell AMD's were compatible.  Good luck!

0 Likes