Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

spectral
Adept II

Access violation on the CPU

Hi,

I'm still facing a lot of crash with the AMD SDK and this time it looks really strange to me because it is a very simple case.

I have a kernel that 'initialize' some structures and when I execute it, I receive an access violation.

By example, on the host side the buffer address is : 0x000000000fad00a4 and contains 2048 'clTask' structure (when size(clTask) = 640 on both C++ and CL). So, there is no memory allocation problem, because the size of the buffer is correct.

When I execute the kernel, I print some information :

GID=[0] sizeof_clTask[640] address[000000000FAD00A4]

GID=[1024] sizeof_clTask[640] address[000000000FB700A4]

So, it looks correct... but I receive the following error message :

Unhandled exception at 0x0c164d4f in spectralStudio.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xffffffffffffffff.

For information I run it on a Intel i7 and this kernel work with NVidia SDK and Intel SDK too.

How can we collaborate to fix the problem ?

Thanks

0 Likes
12 Replies
Wenju
Elite

Hi viewon01,

If you use "printf" to print information,You can comment the print  statement and try again.I think 'printf' casue the bug.

0 Likes

The normal kernel does not use printf ! What printf display seems correct to me... but there is an access violation somewhere !

0 Likes

Could you paste same code about your project,So I can test it on my PC.

0 Likes

Hi Wenju,

I have release a version of the software at the following URL :

http://www.spectralpixel.com

You can download it and try with tha AMD SDK.

It works fine with the NVidia SDK and the Intel SDK but I can't find any solution for the AMD SDK, since a long time ! First, I think that it will be easier to run it on the CPU and later on the GPU.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes

Hi viewon01

I have downloaded your program and installed it,But it can't work on my PC which installs Intel OpenCL SDK and AMD OpenCL SDK.

I think you'd better upload  some code,so we can find the bug much easier.

0 Likes

You're not able to run it ? What is the problem ?

In fact, there is more than a year that I try to run the application on the AMD SDK without success !

So, for sure you will find several problems... the one I describe is the very first one.

Notice that it is complex to create a "small sample" that reproduce the bug because the OpenCL code is generated at the run time. There is a lot of OpenCL code... and it is complex now. So, to be sure to face the problems the best is to directly check where the crash occur and find why too !

0 Likes

Hi viewon01

I can start your program, and  I can switch the rendering viewport to the working-mode at first time,But The second time I push the switch rendering button. It do nothing. I don't know why.

0 Likes

Hi Wenju,

I'm surprised that you can press the "photo realistic rendering" button without a crash ! I got crash on every machine I try... but maybe it is only on Intel CPU ?

0 Likes

Hi viewon01,

I have installed both AMD SDK and Intel SDK on my PC. I think your program use Intel OpenCL platform,

0 Likes

Ok,

So, have you loaded a scene and have you set the right SDK and device in the preferences panel ?

There is a log 'tab', do you have some specific message there ?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi viewon01,

I have done what you told me,and I have run it correctly on my PC with Intel OpenCL SDK.

and crashed on another PC which install AMD SDK only.

But I think if I don't have your code.I can't find what cause this bug.

0 Likes

Hi Wenju,

No problem, I have already signed and NDA with AMD so I can share the code. But please tell me how ?

You can send me an email and then I will arrange to provide you the code.

Regards

Krys

0 Likes