Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

PIX for Windows 64 bit stopped displaying frame buffer content

Hello

After driver update March 7 2012

AMD Catalyst 12.3

Pix for Windows  64 bit stopped working.

1. DX11/10 applications are traced, however framebuffer contents are not displayed

Erorr: "Surface cannot be shown"

When you go to a draw call DrawIndexed Pre-Vertex Shader, Post-VertexShader, Post-Geometry Shader are emtpy, Viewport says "There was a problem"

2. DX9 applications work with 1 frame per 5 seconds.

Pix for Windows 32 bit works fine without problems.

This happens with the examples from June 2010 SDK

I have also installed Visual Studio 11

Operating System, Windows 7 64 bit, Athlon x4 620, AMD Radeon 5750

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

I have installed Catalyst 12.4.

The problem with PIX64 bit went way.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
kcarney
Staff

Hi kingofthebongo,

Sorry it's take me so long to find the right person to look into this issue.

Quality Engineering tried reproduce the issue that you described above and were unable to.  Here's the reply that I got from them.

"We were able to both capture and play back a frame buffer stream (over 30 seconds long) of a 64-bit  DX11 SDK app (from June 2010, like the poster), using the 64-bit version of Pix.  We did so with both a Juniper (57xx) and Cypress (59xx) using Catalyst 12.3. If you want to contact the poster, and get more detailed information on how to repro (specific SDK app used, app settings, step by step Pix commands, etc.), we can take another look."

Would you be willing to post the additional information that they are requesting?

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

Hello,

I have made a pix run + screenshots of pix windows.

If i can upload them somewhere will be great.

They are about 18mb

Thanks.

If there is anything that i can do more, please write me.

0 Likes

You should be able to attach files of up to 50 MB here.

Reply to the thread, and click on the HTML toggle in the upper right corner. At the bottom of the HTML editor, there's an attach file option.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Kristen

0 Likes

Here it is

0 Likes

Here's what I received from the quality team.

"This was helpful, as we can now say with certainty that we cannot reproduce this user’s problem.  Using the submitted Pix capture file, we are able to use the 64-bit version of Pix fine, on two different systems, and using 3 different graphics card models, including one of our competitors’ products.  We also had a DXX driver engineer look at our results and confirm their correctness.  There is something wrong on the user’s system.

We obtained the attached screen shots using the user’s own Pix capture file that he posted on the forum, taken on the identical frame #156, as the shots he posted. 

We see the proper content in the view panes, but he does not.   He has something wrong with his configuration.  We would suggest a thorough uninstall, then a reinstall of the driver, and perhaps the same for the DX SDK.

The “Surface cannot be shown” message reported by Pix for this frame is the correct behavior.  The render target is a depth buffer at this point in the code, so there is nothing rendered to the frame buffer by this draw command, and therefore nothing shown under the render tab."

Hope this helps!

Kristen

0 Likes

Thank you for your help.

I have opened a capture made in Pix64 in Pix32. It looks like the draw call is not marked as draw call according to pix64

Here are the results. If you can get an idea will be great, otherwise i will ask on Microsoft forums for this problem.

Pix64 bit

pix64_bit.png

Pix32 bit.

pix32_bit.png

0 Likes

Hello,

I have installed Catalyst 12.4.

The problem with PIX64 bit went way.

Regards

0 Likes