cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

timchist
Elite

Updated AMD APP OpenCL programming guide

The document currently available for download has revision 1.3f and is dated December 2011. The document neither contains guidelines for programming new

Southern Islands GPUs nor even mentions it. I expect that optimization techniques for GCN-based cards can be quite different from the VLIW-based, so it would be nice to know about them more.

Is it planned to release an updated version of the guide? When is it going to happen?

1 Solution

Yes. As usual it will match the normal release cycle of the SDK. I can't give a more specific date than that.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
sh2
Adept II

See "4.16 Optimization Guidelines for Southern Islands GPUs"

Thanks, sh. I managed to overlook this short section in the middle of the document.

Even though the information is quite helpful, the whole document is still focused on describing VLIW GPUs. For example, sections 1.2, 1.6, 4.7, and so on. Appendix D does not provide device parameters for Southern Islands GPU. This list can go on and on.

It's sort of OK for me, as I started to program GPUs rather early and already knew how Evergreen and Nothern Islands GPUs worked, so I just looked at the changes. For a new starter though such organization of the document is confusing.

In addition, I don't think that 3 pages of text in the 232-page document is the right amount of information about the best AMD GPU architecture from GPGPU point of view.

So my question still remains: is this document going to be significantly revised from SI GPUs prospective, and if yes, when is it planned to release such document?

Yeah, this is absolutely right.

Also there are still no informations about the FirePro cards, and they are out in the wild as far i know...

0 Likes

It will indeed be updated.

Thanks Lee. Any ideas about when this will happen?

0 Likes

Yes. As usual it will match the normal release cycle of the SDK. I can't give a more specific date than that.

0 Likes

I hope really soon, because my kernel for a HD5870 utilize the ALUs for ~80% and on the 7970 just for ~25%

I have expected that it would be easier to utilize the GCN architectur.

So optimization hints would be great.

0 Likes