cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

patriceterrier
Journeyman III

Windows 8 consumer preview and OpenGL

I have downloaded the latest drivers: 8.930.7.0 for the Windows 8 consumer preview.

however i am still unable to run correctly any of my existing OpenGL applications

I am using an HP Pavilion dv7-6090ef with an AMD Radeon HD 6770 M

Any advice?

Thank you.

0 Likes
14 Replies
stroia
Staff

Try using the full driver package that you can get from here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx

I'm not sure where you got your driver, but if it is from Windows Update, then it potentially doesn't have OpenGL support, but the full driver package is offered by AMD, which you should be able to find from the link above.

0 Likes

Stroia--

I already downloaded and installed the AMD patch:

amd_catalyst_win8_consumer_preview_[rc10].exe

In the control panel in the "graphic card" section i can see two lines:

/!\ AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.20)

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.2)

See the exclamation mark in front of the first line.

And when i popup the properties dialog in the General TAB i have this message:

This device is unable to start (Code 10)

Note: The messages are displayed in french on my computer, thus my translation couldn't be perfect.

0 Likes

Hmm... Intel HD graphics doesn't sound right.  There is definitely some different drivers installed.  Let me check with our engineers on their recommended next steps and I'll get back to you.

0 Likes

Is it possible to turn off the Integrated Intel graphics in the BIOS and try to uninstall and reinstall everything?  That might be the best option.

0 Likes

Stroia--

Turning off the intel graphic card in the Bios
hmm hmm!.

I think that the first quality of a new OS is how easy it is to install, for.... novice.

So far i would not recommend to install the Windows 8 consumer preview on an HP dv7-6090ef, especially for those wanting to use OpenGL, because the AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphic card doesn't work with it.

Patrice Terrier

www.zapsolution.com

0 Likes
pillum
Adept II

I had this problem too

but resolved it with deinstalling the driver, using Driver Sweeper, reinstall from Windows Update and then install the full package from amd.com.

Dunno, why it has to be so complex

You can check, if it worked with GPU Caps Viewer. OpenGL Version shouldn't say "OpenGL GDI 1.1", which is the generic Microsoft OpenGL implementation.

0 Likes

Pillum--

I followed your recommendations, but no luck, OpenGL is so sluggish that it is almost unusable.

Now in the graphic card section of the device manager i see:

AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.2)

And I got this WARNING message

The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of

your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your AMD graphics

driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager.

En bref, c'est la galère !

Thank you.

0 Likes

Let me look further into this...

0 Likes
lygos1988
Journeyman III

Hello i wana ask about  switchable graphics driver ati 5650+intel hd "first generation" for win8 x64 consumer previev.Because oficial drivers from amd not working for me...any ideas? thanks

0 Likes
akxe
Journeyman III

I have meaby the same problem cause my videocard is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 serises (notebook version) and so I have only WDDM v 1.1. please help

I heard then just copinig somme of registry was enough...

0 Likes

So far i have removed the Windows 8 consumer preview, because nothing that i could try allows me to run correctly OpenGL with my HP pavilion dv7-6090ef.

Tooks me two full days to re-install everything to Windows 7, because there is no easy way to unistall Windows 8.

And i would say that i couldn't see the reason to force us to use the metro interface on a standard PC, especially when the main display is not a touch screen (this is the case for 99% i know around me).

0 Likes
stroia
Staff

Sorry to hear you had to spend time uninstalling everything.  The good news is that this is just a preview, so there is time for Microsoft and AMD to resolve driver issues before it is ready for wide spread adoption.  As with any pre-release software, there is likely going to be issues that aren't fully resolved and it is generally a good idea to an install on a partitioned drive so that if it does have issues you always have your known good partition.  I appreciate you brining this to our attention.

0 Likes

Stroia--

If you go to my web site: www.zapsolution.com, you will see that i am indeed a graphic addon provider.

I did check the "Windows 8 consumer preview" because i thought it would work better than the programmer's preview, understanding very well it was a beta version. I am confident that you will solve this issue before the final release.

My bad luck, was that i couldn't check my own softwares on that platform, because the graphic drivers are not yet working on my 6 monthes old HP dv7-6090ef, and it was the only one i had using an ATI / AMD graphic card.

As long as i am concerned, i consider this thread to be closed.

Thank you.

0 Likes
kenzo
Journeyman III

Same problem with OpenGL here, but not a laptop.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor

ATI Radeon HD 4200

(Motherboard) ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785TD-V EVO

I tried the special edition of the drive for this Windows 8 too.

0 Likes