Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

settle
Challenger

OpenCL 1.2 support

OpenCL 1.2 support for current and soon to be released hardware

Is there anything AMD can tell us about future support of OpenCL 1.2 for current and soon to be released hardware?  I'm assuming that maybe some support will show up in the next APP SDK release in a few months (based on a 3-4 month release interval)?

0 Likes
8 Replies
Meteorhead
Challenger

Well, SDK release interval is 6 months, to be exact, but yeah, it should be due sometime around February.

I'm a little disappointed that C++ hasn't made it into the specs, as it was well seen ahead that AMD will also support C++ features on the GPU. Now someone tell me: What is the point in AMD supporting C++ on a GPU, when practically there's no API that allows using it??

C++ AMP as far as I understood only allows basic types to be passed to a kernel, no C++ functionality inside the kernel. OpenCL doesn't have C++ inside kernels...

I know hardware has to come before the software, but the flexibility of OpenCL is that the standard can be made seperate from the HW, just knowing it's capabilities is enough. Has AMD made efforts in this direction? Because the new cards will support kick@ss features, but there is absolutely no way of using it, specially with CAL being taken away.

0 Likes

Sorry, we cannot discuss unreleased products, features or specifications.

That being said, even though our SDK release is spaced at fairly large intervals, the OpenCL Driver/Compiler/Runtime components get updated monthly with the Catalyst driver.
0 Likes

hopefully next release will have 1.2 support. IIRC Micah said that 2.6 should be out before christmas as it is in QA.

0 Likes

What is QA? I'm a little sceptic about 1.2 already being in 2.6, as the specs have only been released yesterday, but it would be a nice Christmas present for sure. 🙂

0 Likes

quality assurance. well even it was released yesterday AMD is in khronos workgroup so they had draft of specification beforehand. so they can make implementation early on.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow That being said, even though our SDK release is spaced at fairly large intervals, the OpenCL Driver/Compiler/Runtime components get updated monthly with the Catalyst driver.

By "get updated" you actually mean "get broken" - right?

0 Likes

The following functions preferred in the first version supporting version 1.2:

clCompileProgram
clLinkProgram

Ronnie

0 Likes
kphillisjr
Adept II

I Agree that OpenCL 1.2 Support will be an excellent idea, and I would like to go a little further by adding the addition of two more extensions to the list... namely... "cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing" and "cl_khr_d3d11_sharing".

0 Likes