cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

troels_blum
Journeyman III

Can only see GPU devices after loggin in through X (Ubuntu)

Hi,

System: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6, 2 x AMD Radeon HD 6990, Ubuntu 11.10, Catalyst 11.9, AMD-APP-SDK-v2.5

My problem is that the GPU's are only accessible after I log in through gdm on the machine. After setting it up I (and others) will only have access to the machine through ssh. How do I get around this?

The Machine will only be used for OpenCL programming, and running these programs.

0 Likes
2 Replies
timattox
Adept I

You should ask this question in the OpenCL forum topic area.

As far as I know, AMD is still working on a fix for supporting GPGPU without an active X session.  I know you can set things up such that an X session is started at bootup time, and configured such that when you ssh in, you can invoke OpenCL code.  But I don't have the details on how that is done, I just have access to a cluster that lets me ssh in and use ATI/AMD GPUs for OpenCL.  You might only have to set the COMPUTE environment variable in your shell (analogous to the DISPLAY environment variable).

0 Likes

Solved:

replaced LightDM with GDM, amd followed this guide: http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

Still as others have mentioned: It would be nice to be able to do this with out running a Xserver. 

BR Troels

0 Likes