smeyel
Journeyman III

serious memory leak in clEnqueueNDRangeKernel

First of all forgive my bad english 🙂

The attached code (just 100 lines) does the following simple tasks:

create a context on a GPU device and full profile platform;

create and build a simple cl program;

create a command queue;

create a very simple kernel (it actually does nothing)

kernel void doNothing()

{

int id = get_global_id(0);

}

then it begins a while(1) loop, in which the following things are done:

enqueue the kernel with clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(queue, doNothing, 1, NULL, &workSize, &workSize, 0, NULL, NULL);

call clFinish on the command queue;

sleep for 10 milliseconds.

The memory usage of the running program keeps growing even if nothing is created/allocated inside the loop. The problem remains even if I get the event returned by clEnqueueNDRangeKernel and release it immediately each time.

Im running on windows 7 64 bit, compiling with visual studio 32 bit compiler ("cl memleak.c user32.lib OpenCL.lib). My graphics card is a mobility radeon HD 5470, with ATI catalyst 1.9 drivers. The OpenCL implementations is the 32 bit OpenCL.lib file found in the AMD APP SDK version 2.5.

I hope this is the right place to report a bug 🙂

#include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <windows.h> #include <CL/cl.h> #define STRINGIFY(cl_source) #cl_source cl_context context = NULL; cl_program program = NULL; cl_command_queue queue = NULL; cl_kernel doNothing = NULL; void releaseAllAndExit() { if (doNothing != NULL) clReleaseKernel(doNothing); if (queue != NULL) clReleaseCommandQueue(queue); if (program != NULL) clReleaseProgram(program); if (context != NULL) clReleaseContext(context); exit(0); } int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { cl_int error; cl_platform_id platform; cl_device_id device; cl_context_properties properties[3]; const char *programSource = "kernel void doNothing() { int id = get_global_id(0); }"; size_t workSize = 64; cl_event event; error = clGetPlatformIDs(1, &platform, NULL); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clGetPlatformIDs: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } error = clGetDeviceIDs(platform, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU, 1, &device, NULL); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clGetDeviceIDs: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } properties[0] = CL_CONTEXT_PLATFORM; properties[1] = (cl_context_properties) platform; properties[2] = 0; context = clCreateContext(properties, 1, &device, NULL, NULL, &error); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clCreateContext: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } program = clCreateProgramWithSource(context, 1, &programSource, NULL, &error); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clCreateProgramWithSource: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } error = clBuildProgram(program, 1, &device, "-Werror", NULL, NULL); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clBuildProgram: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } queue = clCreateCommandQueue(context, device, 0, &error); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clCreateCommandQueue: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } doNothing = clCreateKernel(program, "doNothing", &error); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clCreateKernel: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } while (1) { error = clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(queue, doNothing, 1, NULL, &workSize, &workSize, 0, NULL, NULL/*&event*/); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clEnqueueDNRangeKernel: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } error = clFinish(queue); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clFinish: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); } /*error = clReleaseEvent(event); if (error != CL_SUCCESS) { printf("Error: clReleaseEvent: %d\n", error); releaseAllAndExit(); }*/ Sleep(10); } }

0 Likes
10 Replies
smeyel
Journeyman III

Sorry, I obviously meant catalyst 11.9 driver 🙂

0 Likes
smeyel
Journeyman III

Same thing happens with the 64 bit compiler and 64 bit OpenCL.lib (just tested). I can't believe I'm the first one experiencing this bug, tell me there's something I'm misunderstanding XD

0 Likes

I have been testing around and I have new results (which really do not make any sense to me, help me understand the situation):

while (1) {

clEnqueueNDRangeKernel;

clFinish;

Sleep(10);

} -> memory leak

while (1) {

Sleep(10);

} ->  obviously no memory leak

while (1) {

clEnqueueNDRangeKernel;

clFinish;

} -> NO memory leak

Memory leak occurs only when using clEnqueueNDRangeKernel and win32 Sleep together °_°

0 Likes

I suppose the problem is something like the GPU executes the kernel and then tells the main thread to free the memory, but the thread is sleeping. I think someone should look into this, it is a common scenario to use OpenCL for graphics together with PeekMessage and Sleep to generate frames.

0 Likes

Same problem if I remove PeekMessage and Sleep and replace them with GetMessage and SetTimer. There is just no way to use clEnqueueNDRangeKernel and wait for some non-OpenCL event without having memory leaks.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: smeyel Same problem if I remove PeekMessage and Sleep and replace them with GetMessage and SetTimer. There is just no way to use clEnqueueNDRangeKernel and wait for some non-OpenCL event without having memory leaks.

We were not able to reproduce with internal OpenCL libraries.  Which tool are you using to find this leak?

0 Likes

I'm just looking at the process's memory usage from windows task manager.

0 Likes

no leak under nvidia (just tested)

0 Likes

It is very serious leak.

I  modified the NBody Simulation, took  out the GUI and added file to  record the particle position.

In do loop for 300,000 time, all 12 GBytes memory was used up.

My CPU is FX 8150, GPU HD 7750 , linux ubuntu 1204 LTS, and latest AMDAPP driver.

0 Likes

Does the issue still reproducible with SDK 2.8 and Catalyst 12.10?

0 Likes