Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Tristan23
Journeyman III

Second graphics adapter not detected

Hi,

I have two 6970 in my system - but only one is detected.

* Strange thing: Windows Device Manager shows under "Display adapters" two entries like this:

"AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series"

* Catalyst Control Center / shows one "Primary Adapter" - and one "Disabled Adapter".

How can I make use of my second 6970?

My system:

- Windows XP

- Catalyst 11.8

0 Likes
6 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: Tristan23 Hi,

I have two 6970 in my system - but only one is detected.

* Strange thing: Windows Device Manager shows under "Display adapters" two entries like this:

"AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series"

* Catalyst Control Center / shows one "Primary Adapter" - and one "Disabled Adapter".

How can I make use of my second 6970?

My system:

- Windows XP

- Catalyst 11.8

Please run clinfo and paste log here.

Have you connected display to second card?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna

Please run clinfo and paste log here.

Have you connected display to second card?

No, because when I run the same system under Windows 7 I don't need to connect a display too.

Update: I finally managed to get the second card running (I had to fiddle around Windows "Display Properties" settings to extend the desktop).

Next problem: When running two OpenCL programs (one on each 6970) it seems they slow each other down! Under Windows 7 there is no such problem (I run the same kernel / executable there).

What could be the problem here?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Tristan23

No, because when I run the same system under Windows 7 I don't need to connect a display too.

Update: I finally managed to get the second card running (I had to fiddle around Windows "Display Properties" settings to extend the desktop). 

Next problem: When running two OpenCL programs (one on each 6970) it seems they slow each other down! Under Windows 7 there is no such problem (I run the same kernel / executable there).

What could be the problem here?

XP support is deprecated in SDK2.5. XP is not supported from SDK2.6 onwards.

Please use only Windows7 or Vista

0 Likes
realhet
Miniboss

2 years later I run into this bug 😕

cat 12.10

Win7 64Bit

Primary adapter HD6970

Disabled adapter HD7770

OpenCL works ok on the 'disabled' adapter, but seems like ADL is bugging and can't reach the Overdrive controls for the HD7770 in CCC.

Are there any working solution for this?

I gonna check it with ADL manually. I'll try it with atiadlxx.dll and also with atiadlxy.dll. Hopefully xy.dll will reach the HD7770, but I'm just guessing in the dark.

----------------------------------------

Update: I've checked and only atiadlxy.dll worked, but it reported both cards (activity, temperature, fanspeed). But CCC and AMD OverdDrive applications can't display these info for the second 'disabled' card, only for the first primary adapter.

Update2: ADL_Adapter_Active_Get reports 0. So I guess it works like this on purpose, but what if I use the secondary gpu only as a workhorse for opencl and don't want to connect a monitor onto it? Then I can't check its status or overclock it in the control center.

0 Likes

I have somewhat similar issues like described in the thread.

- R9 200 is being used as primary graphic card with 2 displays connected on it.

- 6870 is being used for OpenCL, no displays attached to it, with/without dummy dongle (tried both)

- Catalyst 14.10.1006

- Not using cross-fire.

- Other PCI-E slots are: 2x slot used for Audio. 16x slot used for LSI SAS controller which is 4x.

Problems:

- Windows take too long time to open up login prompt. It hangs just before it (page with blue background, mouse is rotating circle) for 5 mins, but all works well except following:

- All OpenCL applications crash (I am using OpenCLTemplate http://www.cmsoft.com.br/).

Solution:

- When I remove one of the graphic cards (e.g. 6870) then all works fine. But I want 2 graphics card system so I can run OpenCL applications on unused 6870 without need to overload primary R9 200 card that handles dual displays, videos and games.

Any clues why OpenCL apps crash when I use dual card setup and why windows take too long to startup ??

0 Likes

Hi,

Try to make the HD6870 primary! This way it works for me well, even with the latest drivers. The only minor issue is that I can't access the overclocking properties of the secondary 'disabled' card form CCC, but it opencl works on it with factory default clock settings.

0 Likes