Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Atmapuri
Journeyman III

Cross process sharing

Hi!

Can I access the same buffer on the same device from two different processes provided that they can exchange information about the created contexts, kernels etc...?

Thanks!
Atmapuri

0 Likes
4 Replies
arsenm
Adept III

I have also been wondering about this, particularly in regard to the CL-GL sharing. I would like to process on a GPU in one process, and let a separate process do drawing from that calculation at different times.

0 Likes

I need this capability for the purpose of a debugger in a third party IDE.

0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: Atmapuri Hi!

Can I access the same buffer on the same device from two different processes provided that they can exchange information about the created contexts, kernels etc...? Thanks! Atmapuri

I guess it should work as long as you have information about context, kernels, memobjects. It would be great if you share your experience here.

0 Likes

My inclination is to think it will not work. Two separate processes would not share memory, and hence would not share dll state. If they didn't share DLL state then you'd be sharing across two different instances of the runtime which wouldn't be maintaining any of the internal data structures you'd need.

You can certainly do it across threads, or processes with a thread-like level of sharing.

0 Likes