Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

kopfrechner
Journeyman III

AMD APP 2.4 + Intel i7 2600 -> Kernel build fails

Hello,

i started using OpenCL and i was wondering about a thing.

But first my configuration:

Graphics Card

• Radeon HD 6870
  • CCC 10.6
  • AMD APP SDK 2.4

CPU

• Intel i7 2600
  • Intel OpenCL SDK in Version 1.1.13785.5219

As you can see, OpenCL should find 2 Platforms (AMD APP, Intel) and it does.

If i use Intel-Platform in OpenCL, there is one device (CPU). Kernels execeutes without any errors on the CPU.

If i use APP AMD Platform in OpenCL, two devices are found (GPU, CPU). Kernels executes on GPU-Device without any errors. But if i use CPU-Device (Intel i7), the following message comes at each Kernel:

C:\Users\??????\AppData\Local\Temp\OCL121D.tmp.cl(29): warning: null (zero)
          character in input line ignored

^

Internal Error:  as failed

Is there a way to disable CPU for AMD APP platform? I also appriciate all other ideas.

Thank you so far.

0 Likes
10 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: kopfrechner Hello,

i started using OpenCL and i was wondering about a thing.

But first my configuration:

Graphics Card

• Radeon HD 6870
  • CCC 10.6
  • AMD APP SDK 2.4
CPU

• Intel i7 2600
  • Intel OpenCL SDK in Version 1.1.13785.5219
As you can see, OpenCL should find 2 Platforms (AMD APP, Intel) and it does.

If i use Intel-Platform in OpenCL, there is one device (CPU). Kernels execeutes without any errors on the CPU.

If i use APP AMD Platform in OpenCL, two devices are found (GPU, CPU). Kernels executes on GPU-Device without any errors. But if i use CPU-Device (Intel i7), the following message comes at each Kernel:

C:\Users\??????\AppData\Local\Temp\OCL121D.tmp.cl(29): warning: null (zero)           character in input line ignored   ^  Internal Error:  as failed

Is there a way to disable CPU for AMD APP platform? I also appriciate all other ideas.

Thank you so far.

Please update Your AMD SDK and driver.

You can skip any device programmatically.

Please can you paste your failing kernel here

0 Likes

even an empty kernel like the following one fails:

__kernel void test() { }

i'm currently updating my drivers

0 Likes

same "internal error: as failed" here:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2410M;

OpenCL SDK: AMD APP SDK 2.5

Kernels tested: all the OpenCL CPU tests coming with GPU Caps Viewer (1.11 version)

Any idea?

0 Likes

Make sure that there isn't another instance of "as" in your path (such as from Cygwin).  The OpenCL CPU device compiler needs the "as" provided by the APP SDK.

Jeff

0 Likes

sry, but what's "as"?

0 Likes

I (quick) fixed this same problem by copying the following files in the same directory as my own .exe:

c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64\as.exe
c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64\ld.exe

So I think it is some kind of path environmental variable problem...
(however, c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64 is added to the "path" variable of Win7?) 

0 Likes

Originally posted by: andre.mussche I (quick) fixed this same problem by copying the following files in the same directory as my own .exe:

c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64\as.exe c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64\ld.exe

So I think it is some kind of path environmental variable problem... (however, c:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64 is added to the "path" variable of Win7?) 

You should not move as.exe and ld.exe from installed locations. Please remove/rename if any as.exe and ld.exe in your system otherthan installed ones.

0 Likes

I have a similar problem:

System:

Intel Q6600

MSI HD6950

Win 7 Home x64

I'm using APP SDK 2.5. Until monday I was using Catalyst 1.7 and could run my kernels on GPU and CPU without problems. Then I updated to 1.8 an all fallbacks to CPU are ending in a crash, even empty kernels. GPU runs fine. I downgraded to 1.7 but this didn't help. Then I reinstalled SDK and 1.7 but no changes. Then I tried an update to 1.8 again and today to 1.9, but all CPU Kernels are still crashing with a build-error.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.burger I have a similar problem:

System:

Intel Q6600

MSI HD6950

Win 7 Home x64

I'm using APP SDK 2.5. Until monday I was using Catalyst 1.7 and could run my kernels on GPU and CPU without problems. Then I updated to 1.8 an all fallbacks to CPU are ending in a crash, even empty kernels. GPU runs fine. I downgraded to 1.7 but this didn't help. Then I reinstalled SDK and 1.7 but no changes. Then I tried an update to 1.8 again and today to 1.9, but all CPU Kernels are still crashing with a build-error.

We may not able to help you if your cpu is Intel CPU.  Could you please try on AMD CPU's if you have one?

0 Likes

I don't have 100 PCs for my programming tasks... I have only this one. And like I said before the driverupdate everything was fine. That's why I think that it must be possible that the code excecutes on this Intel CPU.

0 Likes