Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

spectral
Adept II

int4 : access through index

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to acces the elements of a int4, float8 etc... by index :

int4 val;

int a = val;

where 'i' is dynamic at run time ? It will be useful to access a 'random' item !

BTW : Intel SDK support it !

0 Likes
5 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: viewon01 Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to acces the elements of a int4, float8 etc... by index :

int4 val;

int a = val;

where 'i' is dynamic at run time ? It will be useful to access a 'random' item !

BTW : Intel SDK support it !

As per OpenCL it is not supported. But we can do with existing methods and switch/if conditions

if(i == 0)

a = val.x;

else if(i == 1)

a = val.y;

else if(i == 2)

a = val.z;

else

a = val.w;

0 Likes

Of course, but I just try to simplify my code 😉

Thanks

0 Likes
jasno
Journeyman III

you might try

int4 val;

int *valPtr = (int *)val;

then use it like an array.

valPtr[0] =

This does compile and work but it might be bad practice

0 Likes

viewon01,
You cannot legally index into a vector in OpenCL as a vector is not an array and is not indexable. Of course once you write the vector to memory, you can index memory and re-interpret the data however you want.
0 Likes
notzed
Challenger

I know this is an old post, but this type of question comes up fairly often.

So ... I didn't notice that the OpenCL 1.1 spec had added a shuffle instruction until I came across this unrelated post: http://www.openclblog.com/2011/10/shuffling-and-sorting-part-2.html

shuffle is awesome for simd code, it was one of the first things I looked up in the original spec and was dissapointed not to find it it.  Amongst other handy uses - particularly for processing non-element-aligned vector data - it can be used to dynamically index a vector.

e.g.

uint index;

float4 vec;

float value = shuffle(vec, (uint4)index).s0;

Unfortunately however, at least on Cayman, this looks pretty inefficient from the isa, and using an explicit bit of code is half the number of instructions (each of only 1 vliw slot each).

e.g.

uint index;

float4 vec;

float value = vec.s0;

value = index == 1 ? vec.s1 : value;

value = index == 2 ? vec.s2 : value;

value = index == 3 ? vec.s3 : value;

is only 4 instructions with no branching.

On a CELL SPU, shuffle2(any-4-element-32bit-type) is 1 instruction, so it might have been added to the spec for SPU performance.  There it is quite critical to many algorithms as it is a true simd unit.

0 Likes