Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Raistmer
Adept II

OpenCL on AGP bus

is it possible?

Does HD4650 in AGP variant support OpenCL ?

On requirements page HD4650 listed as having beta support (as whole HD4xxx family), but nothing said about what bus required. And there are some HD4650 on AGP bus in market.
0 Likes
13 Replies

Raistmer,
While I have not tested this myself. I do not see why this would be a problem. The only thing different would be how the data gets transfered between the host and the device and as long as it works with an OpenGL application, it should work with an OpenCL application.
0 Likes

The requirements page isn't entirely clear about CPU required eithier, it says Supported Devices: 

AMD CPU X86 CPU with SSE 2.x or later

I take that to mean you need a SSE2 processor to use it as a device,

But, do you still need a SSE2 processor to even use OpenCL on a ATI GPU, should it work with a SSE processor?

I didn't manage to detect my HD4650 (as an OpenCL device) with late Cat 10.x AGP hotfix drivers and SDK2.3, (with my 32bit XP3200 SSE CPU), i will try Cat 11.5 AGP hotfix drivers within the next couple of days and report back,

Claggy

0 Likes

Installed the Cat 11.5 AGP hotfix driver, But the desktop is in 4bit colour, and 640*480 resolution and won't change,

Catalyst Control Centre also states the driver installed isn't compatible and won't open, tried it a couple of times, same, then tried Cat 11.3 AGP hotfix driver, same,
Cat 11.1 AGP hotfix installs O.K, Resolution and Colour depth can be changed, and Catalyst Control Centre will open,

Installed the 32bit SDK_2.3 (with Cat 11.1 AGP hotfix), when i try and run CLinfo.exe, it crashes.

Claggy

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

Same problem as Claggy, but in my case in Windows XP x64. After installing Catalyst 11.5 AGP hotfix only 640x480 resolution and 4 bit colour. Looks like a driver problem. Please, report it to the driver team if possible, as this card model is still being sold on the market. Even if OpenCL does not work, the GPU should be recognized.

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

The problem persists with Catalyst 11.6 AGP hotfix, again only 640x480 resolution and 4 bit colour. I am using a Radeon 4650 GPU and an Athlon64 CPU on Windows XP x64.

0 Likes

According to a reply from a ticket i've put in about the problems with AGP_hotfix drivers:

OPENCL supoort is restricted PCIE cards only.

Edit: So why is the APP SDK Runtime included in the AGP hotfix drivers then?????

Claggy

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

Well, even with no OpenCL support the drivers should install and work, as the Radeon 4650 AGP series are only about two years old. However starting catalyst 11.4 if you install the driver the GPU is not properly detected and only works in 640x480 and 16 colors, thus, the problem not only affects GPU computing.

Maybe this should be fixed by the driver team, and not the OpenCL team, unless all kind of support for these GPUs has been abandoned. Can somebody at AMD check this or inform the corresponding driver developer team?

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

Update on the issue:

Tried the new Catalyst 11.7 AGP hotfix and the problem persists, again after installing only 640x480 and 16 colors.

--------------------

Question for AMD:

Was this issue reported to the driver team? Were they able to replicate the problem?

Thanks for your attention.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Ceq Update on the issue:

Tried the new Catalyst 11.7 AGP hotfix and the problem persists, again after installing only 640x480 and 16 colors.

--------------------

Question for AMD:

Was this issue reported to the driver team? Were they able to replicate the problem?

Thanks for your attention.

According to posts in the AMD Game Forum, this issue will be fixed in Cat 11.8

11.7 AGP hotfix hd4000 results

Claggy

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

Thanks Claggy, you were right. The issue was properly addressed in Catalyst 11.8. What is more, it looks like OpenCL 1.0 works quite well on the Radeon 4650.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Ceq Thanks Claggy, you were right. The issue was properly addressed in Catalyst 11.8. What is more, it looks like OpenCL 1.0 works quite well on the Radeon 4650.

I managed to get Cat 11.8 AGP Hotfix installed O.K, but i still don't get any OpenCL support, and Boinc doesn't see the AGP HD4650 any more,

Boinc reports calInit() returned 1

Can you report this to the Catalyst Driver team please, (phusg on the AMD Game forum also reports Boinc doesn't detect the AGP HD4650 with Cat 11.8 AGP hotfix drivers)

System is: AMD XP3200+, Asus A7N8X-dlx, 1 Gig PC3200 @166MHz, Asus AH4650, Win XP SP3

Claggy

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

It would be nice to know specifications more precisely. Maybe AMD devs have extra money to experiment, but volunteer devs usually more restricted in money to buy device just to discover it's not compatible

"AMD CPU" is definitely wrong requirement - we all know it will work on Intel CPU with SSE2 support too. OpenCL CPU will work even on Intel Atom. To move forward products from other division of own company is good in some degree, but better to have complete and precise requirements than such marketing moves IMHO.
0 Likes

I've now have a PCI Nvidia 8400 GS installed and recognised as an OpenCL device, but no luck with the AGP HD4650,

Claggy

0 Likes