Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Meteorhead
Challenger

11.7 fails to start

Ubuntu 10.04

I have just installed 11.7 under Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, and it fails to start whatsoever. After install, bascally nothing works that uses HW accel.

aticonfig finds the adapter alright, xorg.conf was set using --initial -f and it looks ok, however desktop is software emulated, glxgears crashes, and so on...

Any suggestions how to go about debugging?

0 Likes
7 Replies
ED1980
Adept II

I also could not install on Ubuntu 11.04

0 Likes

To those whom it may concern: could someone reflect on this topic? ATM it seems the 11.7 linux driver is a disaster.

0 Likes

Although nobody answered, I found that 11.7 works fine on a fresh install of Ubuntu, so there must be some mess-up with upgrading an installation with simply running the driver installer .sh

You might want to look into that. It's not the neatest way to do a monthly driver update. (Luckily, I had to do a reinstall for other reasons, but nonetheless, I do not wish to repeat this with 11.8)

0 Likes

i have better experience with --buildpkg option when all files from driver are tracked with package manager. but there is issue on 11.04 when OpenCL/GL interoperabilty isn't working.

0 Likes

I installed it on SuSE 11.4 x64, as upgrade from 11.6. No problems at all, it fixed a few instabilities, I'm happy with it. Performance is the same for me (or the change is less than 2% - normal fluctuations).

0 Likes

Did you run "/usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh" before installing 11.7.

I had no problems.

0 Likes

Can you try this:

#cd /usr/share/ati

#amd-uninstall.sh  --force

#reboot  (then intall new driver)

Sometimes uninstall may not cleanup files untill you force it.

0 Likes