Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dshchepetov
Journeyman III

cannot find device on AMD 6550m

Hello! 

I am using AMD SDK v.2.4. on Windows 7 64 bit in laptop having two switchable graphic cards (intel stuff and AMD Radeon 6550m). AFAIK AMD 6550m supports OpenCL 1.0, but while trying to run SDK samples i always get CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE from clCreateContextFromType function. So, could i run samples (or any opencl application) on GPU and what should i have done to do it?

0 Likes
6 Replies
keldor314
Journeyman III

CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE generally means that you're trying to run on a device that's "powered off".  That is, if you're running in power saving mode with the intel chipset driving the display, then the 6550m is shut down and not available for opencl.  Make sure you force the 6550m to drive the display.  You'll probably have to go into a power/performance profile and force it to always run in performance mode, rather than automatically switching or some such.

0 Likes
rz2k
Journeyman III

Absolutely same here on Acer TimelineX laptop. Branded drivers have no OpenCL support. Examples from SDK falling back to CPU.

I've tried to install unbranded version, but ended up with fail.

Any AMD support here?

btw, Macbook users with 6xxxM cards have OpenCL support.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: rz2k Absolutely same here on Acer TimelineX laptop. Branded drivers have no OpenCL support. Examples from SDK falling back to CPU.

I've tried to install unbranded version, but ended up with fail.

Any AMD support here?

btw, Macbook users with 6xxxM cards have OpenCL support.

Did you install AMD mobility driver?  Please paste clinfo output here.

Could you please give us following information?

OS, CPU, SDK version and Driver version.

0 Likes

clinfo http://pastie.org/pastes/2486437

CPU: Intel Core i5

SDK: AMD-APP-SDK-v2.5

Drivers: 8.771.1-100909a-121057C-Acer

Yep, like i said before, I've tried to run opencl on ALL avialable drivers (branded give me version mismatch, unbranded fail instalation)

0 Likes

Your HD 6550M should support opencl 1.1 .

As the device is not shown in clInfo, mostly there is a driver installation issue.

btw, what do you mean by unbranded. Can you please do the following:

1. Uninstall whatever driver you have installed.

2. User driver sweeper software to clean up the driver installtion.

3. Download latest AMD catalyst driver by selecting your system configuration at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

0 Likes

Originally posted by: himanshu.gautam  

btw, what do you mean by unbranded. Can you please do the following:

1. Uninstall whatever driver you have installed.

2. User driver sweeper software to clean up the driver installtion.

3. Download latest AMD catalyst driver by selecting your system configuration at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I did that many times. I know how to install/delete drivers properly and etc. No offence, but you should really get that by the time I didnt ask for what clinfo is and how to copy from console 🙂

When I am installing official (from amd.com, unbranded) AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, they saying me to use package from manufacturer of laptop. That is a branded drivers. Custom package dedicated to manufacturers laptop/card.

There is an issue that branded drivers on many laptops by Acer, HP and may be others do not provide OpenCL support. And there is no solution.

AMD should remove OpenCL support for windows from official site for 6550M if 99% of laptops is locked to custom drivers.

anyway, it seems like a big misunderstanding between AMD and laptop manufacturers, that everybody just pass like it is not a big deal.

0 Likes